LED16W Canister System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nick, Are these made by Light Monkey? Also; as of 20 April 2010 I understand they are on backorder. How is the supply working out?

Hi Gdon,

The LED16 is in stock - please check with your local dealer for availability.

Thanks!

My dealer told me that Hollis told them it would take 2 weeks to get one shipped to them. (Thats why I asked you directly)

Now for my other question.. LightMonkey? (Actually I understand this is the case). LM has a good rep for Hollis' is good and longer too so I expect and hope Hollis will stand by the light even if LM goes the way of Salvo and those before that.

22 April Update: Dealer said you got the lights in yesterday, so as I understand it they WERE backordered but are in stock at present. Looking forward to having it in a week.

LM question still on the table.

Last edited:
Well I have the light after a short delay. Have not had it in the water yet but it looks like it will do very nicely.

NEW QUESTION: I understand the Buoyancy is negative 2 pounds. To help me balance my weighting can you tell me that the buoyancy is of the separate units (canister and light head). If its 1 pound each then my weighting will be even, If not I might have to adjust some (yes I am a perfectionist!). thanks

Well I have the light after a short delay. Have not had it in the water yet but it looks like it will do very nicely.

NEW QUESTION: I understand the Buoyancy is negative 2 pounds. To help me balance my weighting can you tell me that the buoyancy is of the separate units (canister and light head). If its 1 pound each then my weighting will be even, If not I might have to adjust some (yes I am a perfectionist!). thanks

You probably have this figured out by now, but I had that issue last weekend with my Hollis LED16. Had to put about 3 lbs on the left side of my backplate with 0 lbs on the right to keep from rolling over. Somewhere between 2-3 lbs should offset the light. FYI, this was with a single tank rig with the canister mounted on the tank camband...

Three lbs? the entire thing is supposed to be only 2 lbs negative. With the can on my right hip and the light head on my left hand I could not detect any inbalance. (Single tank also)

Im still wondering why Hollis has a forum here but does not seem to reply. Oh well. Had the light on a quarry dive to 94 feet.. it was nice.

So how did you guys like the light ? any comparison vs previous HID you'd have used ?
How is the beam in the water?

All I can compare it to would be my buddy’s Dive rite 10 watt HID. It seemed to be just as bright as the HID and maybe a tad brighter. The LED was whiter and that might have been why it seemed brighter. The beam width was very similar, as was the “punch” in our local quarry with 8-25 foot vis. The LED has a peripheral cone of light that worked very well for reading gauges without causing much backscattered light. I read gauges by tilting the light toward the gauge without putting the main beam on it (which would be too bright). The can on the LED is smaller.

By the way in a very few years dive lights will no longer be canister, cord, light head... the entire unit will be just a little larger than the light heads are today, battery and all, and still with good power and reasonable run times. It will all sit on your forearm.

Three lbs? the entire thing is supposed to be only 2 lbs negative. With the can on my right hip and the light head on my left hand I could not detect any inbalance. (Single tank also)

Im still wondering why Hollis has a forum here but does not seem to reply. Oh well. Had the light on a quarry dive to 94 feet.. it was nice.

I had the canister and light head on the same side, the right. It is also my first canister light, so I'm sure there is some getting used to as well. Maybe I will try and put the canister on the left side of the tank next time with light head in right hand to see if that helps...thanks for the suggestion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom