Leg Floatation Devices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My fins are slightly negatively buoyant, but only slightly. They're Aeris Velocitys. Ever since I was a kid I've never been much of a floater and always had my legs sink. It's almost time to get new fins/booties and I just may make buoyancy a criteria.

I may try raising my tank, even though I can reach the valve the way it is. I can probably raise it an inch or so without too much chance of it hitting my head.

Funny--I found several websites that sell sheet neoprene and they are the same ones listed here. I had no idea it was that expensive! Good thing I work in a dive shop; maybe I can salvage an old rental wetsuit and make some leg gaiters from it.

Thanks for all the advice. As I said, this is a minor problem at best but it really chaps my ass when I see other divers just hovering in any attitude they want and I have to work at it!

My husband has the same issue. I would've suggested cutting up an old wetsuit, but none of ours are that old. So if you actually make a few gaiters (Gators ? for those of us in Fl) feel free to use him has an additional test subject. You may be onto a new market here! He's getting ready to buy 2 small lift bags to get his legs to float.

I switched from an AL 80 to steel tanks and never looked back. It was tough before then to be flat but I was able.

I have heavy legs as well, but it's really only a near insurmountable problem if I am wearing a shorty, which is rare now.

I agree with the conclusion of the most of the experienced divers here, if you are having the problem even with a 7 mm full suit, that sounds more like a trim issue. A 7mm suit is a lot of neoprene below the waist...

One thing you might try is to get your tail in the air early in the dive to let some air down to that part of your wing/BC, then go back to a normal horizontal trim. That might float you...it's helped a lot of others.

I too sink by the feet naturally, esp. in a wetsuit..

Try diving a Backplate and a wing, this will get your weight up higher on your torso. The plate being close to your back does not really kill your righting moment when swimming.

The tank should be high enough that the reg does ding you in the back of the head, occasionally. Well as high as possible within your tolerance of pain.

Move the wing to the top set of holes if you have them, i.e down toward your feet.

If you're still feet down, use a plate weight, or a heavier plate to shift even more weight off your belt onto your upper torso.

The basic concept is this:
If you are head up, your centre of Buoyancy is to close too your head, relative to your centre of mass. Move mass towards head.
Conversely if you are head down, move mass towards feet.

Picture a see-saw, your CofB is the fulcrum, your CofM is the distribution of mass. if you want the see-saw to ballance, center the CofM over the CofB and you will.

Short term you could use a couple of ankle weights around the neck of your tank. Remember to take the corresponding weight off your belt.

You should not need to mess with buoyant elements, or lighter fins, that means more weight, and problems with varying buoyancy distribution at depth, vs shallow.. Yuck!

Good luck
Rob

I have this problem too, leg sinking down. I never used to have the problem in the past, when I was wearing a 3mm full suit and 6lbs of weight. I now use no weights, no suit, and my legs sink!

I use a TransPac (then and now), and the first stage always hits my head, so it's high enough. I'm thinking of making a small .5lb neckweight. I reckon it'll solve my problem, won't it?

Back
Top Bottom