Legal advice needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JackSpearo:
ahhh guys...I told yall I hope someone would see it because they would see how stressed and confused I was!
I imagine when my son applies to law school (like he says he wants to even though it was hell trying to get him to finish college apps.:rofl3: ) his answer will be easier. Yes, he admitted to guilt. Charges were dismissed. Oh well. Who is perfect?:11:

JackSpearo:
ahhh guys...I told yall I hope someone would see it because they would see how stressed and confused I was!

hey, you were smart enough to ask

i'm not sure i would have even asked when i was younger ... probably just tried to hide the whole thing til it blew up on my face

besides, if you've never been to the process, you really don't know what they look for

above all, they look for candor. just explain what happened, as is. don't try to downplay it or minimize. "this is what happened. now you know." you'll be fine.

JackSpearo:

uh, no, they will see you were trying to do a dance, if they ever found out, which they would not. Listen, when, and if, you pass the bar and become a liar, you will look back on this and smile, while counting your dollars gotten defender tobacco companies, gettting killers less time, punishing Firms for not tightening a bolt, blah blah blah.

Tell them zip! You can always become a doctor.

pilot fish:
while counting your dollars gotten defender tobacco companies, gettting killers less time, punishing Firms for not tightening a bolt, blah blah blah.

damn ... i never get good clients like that

:14:

pilot fish:
uh, no, they will see you were trying to do a dance, if they ever found out, which they would not. Listen, when, and if, you pass the bar and become a liar, you will look back on this and smile, while counting your dollars gotten defender tobacco companies, gettting killers less time, punishing Firms for not tightening a bolt, blah blah blah.

Tell them zip! You can always become a doctor.
Psssst. Jack. Ignore him.:rofl3:

Maybe it's just me, I don't see where he is trying to skate by but simply trying to better understand the question correctly. To me, it is a Yes or No question. I don't see where it asked the applicant to attach a separate page explaining any answers. It didn't say "tell us anything and everything about yourself that may be related to a legal or ethical violation".

Of course, the answer to this question is Yes, he pleaded guilty. Even if dismissed the answer is Yes, as one of the conditions of being granted deferred adjudication requires one to enter a plea of guilty or no contest.

I would still pay for a self background check just to know what anyone else would find who conducts one. Kinda like pulling your own credit report before applying for a mortgage.

Spearo, relating to your first post, I'd much rather have a case expunged than dismissed. A dismissal is still on your public record and people may view that in different ways. Where one person sees "he was innocent, poor thing" another may see "scumbag got off on a technicality". Expunged means it (the arrest, the plea, the verdict) simply isn't there, at least publicly (nothing is ever truly expunged).

JackSpearo:
Rick is out to get me or something?
On the contrary, Jack. I'm out to save you. Save this thread and re-read it in twenty years.
Rick

Rick Murchison:
On the contrary, Jack. I'm out to save you. Save this thread and re-read it in twenty years.
Rick

Jack, I will say (FWIW as someone maybe ten years your senior . . . ) that Rick has the same message as the rest of us. He is just saying it in a more grizzled, grey-haired, been-there-done-that manner.

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd bet you there was a bit of you in a younger Rick.

Once again, enjoy law school. Judging by the fact that you've already been admitted to Michigan, you've already accomplished much and will have many more options. Kudos to you for working hard to get this far.

Back
Top Bottom