Leisurepro.com?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have bought lots of smaller stuff -masks, fins, lights, etc.- from Leisure Pro and they are fine. But for stuff where I care about the warranty - BCDs, regs, etc.- I like to buy from an authorized dealer. Scuba Toys offers the best of both worlds. They are good guys, authorized dealers and they will match Leisure Pro's prices.

Leisure Pro warranty is as good as manufacturer warranty. I have first hand knowledge of this since LP is my LDS. They don't have the fastest service, so you may want to factor that into your purchasing criteria or annual service plan. However, as warranty's go, LP has never done me wrong in over 8 years.

I too have bought 'unimportant' items from Leisure Pro (mask, fins, etc.) without issue.

I think they get a bad rap because they sell 'grey market' stuff... but let's be honest... if LDS's didn't have an outlet like Leisure Pro to get rid of their excess inventory, a lot of them would probably have trouble staying in business.

I still try to buy 99% of my stuff from my LDS though. But that's only because I have a LDS that gives great customer support and great prices.

If I had to pay full price and get crappy service like at many LDS's, then I'd prob not buy there either, but at another online LDS or LP.

However, if you can get a LDS, any LDS to match LP's price and they give great service and have a fully warranty, then why bother with LP is my question?

Not to beat on the dead horse but...
:deadhorse:

From conversations and experiences i've head with LP they still purchase 99% their gear from manufacturer directly, except some other, i think, which come from foreign distributors.
However, due to MAP restrictions they do not offer factory support. But LP will match warranty on all products they sell. They do have service department on site, they guys who are charge of it are factory authorized (and i have seen plaques and diplomas myself) by all the big names. Most of repiar work is done by on premisses but some work (like BCD stitching) is sent to the factory (i know this cuz i had a stiching repaired on my BC through the factory). One of their sales leads is a Padi Master instructor with about 25 years of diving and 13 of training. Most of guys that do sales and customer service there are certified dives. I think this sums it up.
Cheers

From conversations and experiences i've head with LP they still purchase 99% their gear from manufacturer directly...
I kinda' doubt that.

I called ScubaToys about any bargains I find at LP and let Larry beat their price.

But this is really the wrong forum for this thread.

LP is like eBay + inhouse warranty.

If you can get a LDS (or Scubatoys) to pricematch, what is the purpose of going with LP? Would it be for their stellar reputation, or all the good they do for the scuba community? (Tongue in cheek)

The LP business model is one that most online retailers attempt to emulate. Good prices, fast shipping, reasonable customer service and fair policies. Where LP differs is that they don't like the manufactures authorized dealer policies in the areas of MAP, and likely things like purchase quantity restrictions. It's somewhat of a mystery how exactly they get the quantity and selection of products they carry, but it's obvious that they are dealing directly with either the manufacture, or large wholesalers to maintain their inventory even if every manufacture denies this.

I like LP, they are a huge reason there is competitive pricing in the retail scuba industry. However if you want the best of both worlds, I'd second the recommendation for ScubaToys. They match LP pricing, and they are authorized dealers for everything they sell.

To answer your question, I'd purchase ANY scuba item from LP without hesitation. Very few products come with a warranty that is so good that it's going to save much over time. There are a few exceptions, but for those types of items, and really most anything else ScubaToys is hard to beat. I do try and spend some bucks at the LDS as well. This has become increasingly difficult as they just don't compete in retail well, and feed mainly off the new divers for personal gear. But I generally shop the LDS first, and then go online.

DandyDon:
I kinda' doubt that.

I called ScubaToys about any bargains I find at LP and let Larry beat their price.

But this is really the wrong forum for this thread.

Yeah, my bad, and I didn't realize how done to death this conversation is.

Back
Top Bottom