Lembeh or Ambon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matt215

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Working on the next dive trip and am thinking about Lembeh or Ambon. My dilemma is that I've been to Lembeh twice. Love it!! But part of me thinks I should try something new.

Ambon Pros (in my opinion): new, rhinopias, topside culture, not as touristy and more "wild"
Ambon cons (in my opinion): harder to get to, internet and cell phone access seems spotty, unknown, guides not a good as lembeh guides for photography

Lembeh Pros: I'm familiar with it and know what I'm getting, easier to get to, know my guide and he knows how to help with my photography, internet and cell phone is good;
Lembeh Cons: been there, done that; not as likely to see rhinopias

Anyone been to both? Care to weigh in on this...

Ambon has lots of great macro critters. I've seen rhinopias on all of my 5 trips there. I stay at Maluku Divers. Great accommodations & food. Few divers in the large bay. I've dived with some of their guides in the past at Lembeh resorts, so I don't see a difference there. They are great at finding photo subjects. Also diving available outside the bay on nice reefs & drop offs. 'Dive into Ambon' offers this. Haven't stayed there thou. Garuda has a non-stop from Jakarta & Ambon. From Bali flights usually connect in Makassar. On some trips I dive both Lembeh & Ambon. Both great but really like no crowds in Ambon (+ rhinopias). Ambon scorpionfish came back home a couple of years ago.

I've been to both and I have to admit I preferred Lembeh, although Ambon does, as OP says, have some great stuff and is less crowded. I also stayed at Maluku divers which operate at a high standard. I then joined a live-aboard (Amira) from Ambon and did the itinerary up to raja ampat - which is something to consider if you wanted to "spread your bets". Amazing Pygmy seahorses in southern Raja Ampat if you are into macro.

I was deciding this a few weeks ago too, as I'd already booked to go to Raja Ampat, and wanted to do some slightly more relaxed diving on the way home. I've also been to Lembeh a number of times and couldn't decide between the familiarity and going somewhere new. I ended up picking Ambon. I figure if I don't like it, I'll just go back to diving in Lembeh in the future. I'm staying at Maluku Divers as well, so we'll see what happens. If nothing else, at least I'll finally get to see a rhinopia? :)

Hey Matt..I'd give Ambon a try this time....have been there 6x, Lembeh maybe 12x. Lembeh remains my favorite dive destination in the world, but Ambon is a close second or third. I always stay/dive at Maluku Divers and I can promise you their guides are as good as any in Lembeh and a couple of fairly recent additions to the dive team are Ali who was as Kasawari for years and Nan who was at NAD and others in Lembeh if you ever dove with them there. As to a couple of other "cons" you mentioned...wifi at MD is reliable (don't recall on cel signal), and Ambon is quite easy to get to via all major Indonesian airlines. A final plus at MD is that it's only 10 minutes from the airport. And of course you're right about the rhinopias, although Lembeh is finally starting to see them again. I can't speak for Dive Into Ambon as I haven't dove with them, but MD is a great operation that sits just adjacent to all the muck sites and is going to be most familiar with them.

Go out on a limb and give Ambon a try. I'm a Lembeh lover also, I've been 3x and really enjoy diving there.
This year I'm giving Ambon a try for a few days before I get on a liveaboard from Ambon to Raja Ampat. I'd dive Ambon more days but I'm also doing another liveboard in Raja after the crossing trip from Ambon so I'll be away almost a whole month, and the wife puts up with my long trips but a whole month and I might come back to find my stuff in the rain.
I'm hoping for a reappearance of the famed and elusive psychedelic frog fish during my time there as there was one found again last year? during that time frame.

I am not sure about "new", Maluku Divers has been operating there since 2005 or 2006 and liveaboards have been going in and out for a long long time. We just hosted a photo workshop at Maluku Divers this past March and it was a very big success, in fact, we liked it so much we are doing it again for 2016 so I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it for photographers. A lot of the guides are either from Lembeh or have worked in Lembeh and are very experienced working with photographers. Also, Maluku Divers allows for long bottom times so that is a plus. Knowing the team at Dive Into Ambon I would expect they are very similar as well, the owners are photographers so I am sure their dive team is also very good at working with photogs and I think a lot of their guides also come from Lembeh. Internet is not the best no.. but cel phone service is fine. There are several direct flights to Ambon from Jakarta each day with Garuda and Batik Air so its actually very easy to get to, i would always recommend Garuda as they give an extra 15kg for scuba gear. Ambon doesn't have as many sites as Lembeh but they do have all of the same critters

AMBON!

Maluku Divers have great dive guides and top service.
Semuel has almost 20,000 dives mainly with photographers from all over the world. I used to live in Ambon for a while and seen uncountable critters of all kinds.
Internet is getting better too, and there is phone reception!

Go for Ambon, you will have an amazing time.
ATTACHED see some of my photos from Ambon, as you can see....many different things around there.

Cheers Spiegel-online-1011.jpgSpiegel-online-1013.jpgSpiegel-online-1024.jpgSpiegel-online-1025.jpgSpiegel-online-1026.jpgSpiegel-online-1030.jpgSpiegel-online-1031.jpgSpiegel-online-1033.jpg

You should give a try to Ambon, the feeling of being the only boat around is completely diffrent from Lembeh. Plus if you dive with a company like Dive Into Ambon, you can altrenate every day from pure muck dive into the bay to 25m viz blue water coral dives with incredible bottom topography, some times glass like surface around Haruku.

I think it's a pity to go to Ambon and do not go around the island or enjoy dining in town tasting the Maluku seafood cooking which is probably the best of Indonesia's fooding : smoked tuna, eggplant in almond sauce, etc. This is quite difficult wjhen staying at Maluku divers snce it is so far away from town even though you'll anyway have to rent a driver from DIA as well.

I dived both and more than three diffrent times each location, I would say :
Ambon pros and cons :
- resorts are easy to reach once you're at the airport, Ambon is a hub that is easy to fly to from Jakarta with Garuda (23kgs extra for scuba diving gear).
- I prefer Ambon bottom, more than just black sand, or rubbles, better visibility for muck diving too, it's surprizing that you often get up to 25m at the twilight zone while it lokks really yucky from the surface.
- GREAT coral dives in the south of Ambon.
- Rhinopias, rhinopias, rhinopias... and the Ambon frogfish of course but you really have to be super lucky....
- No boats around, no groups, no loud speaking around,
- Great seafood downtown, also the only place in Indonesia to taste the small GANDARIA fruit, which is simply... one the best fruit you'll ever taste, guaranteed., Halfway between sweet mango and sour starfruit taste, only avaiable february/march..
- Gateway to : 1-Banda isands, most interesting islands in Indonesia for history buffs, 2-Kei Kecil, most beautiful beach in the world 3- Lease islands, one hour ferry ride, Molana with only two bungalows is your private island in the sun you've always dreamt of.
- City is away from the resorts, less accom choice too.
- May be less sites than Lembeh.

Lembeh pros and cons :
- great dive operations, most experienced guides
- More nudibranches, denser life in terms especially of behavior (which comes from the density of critter life)
- easy to couple with other dive spots like Bangka or Bunaken,
- Too many divers, too many people carrying a camera underwater, lots of boats, lots of loud speaking dive groups,- a seleaction of resorts from budget to "too expensive" see below...
- lots of resorts that are too expensive for their actual value, a consequence from the over frequentation,
- Not the feel of really being in Indonesia : you are completely tucked into your resort, unlike Ambon where there is a real indonesian city closeby within a 40mn car ride

My conclusion is that if you only want to spend your time ONLY diving, want to do macro 95%, are a nudibranch buff, don't bother about the landside, tourism, etc then Lembeh is better for you.
On the other hand if you value being the only boat on the site, seeing other people than the group in the resort, want to alternate coral and muck dives, are targeting rhinopias, are ready for a bit of traveling, enjoy good local food, want to spare a few days on white sand beaches then I would recommand Ambon.

Both can be coupled easily with a trip to Raja Ampat.

Last edited:
Thank you for the replies. Based solely on the fact that I will have to stay overnight for the domestic flight to and from Ambon, I don't think I have enough time to go there this trip. So it's looking more and more like Lembeh. The number of divers in the water usually isn't a concern for me because I splurge and get a private guide, and we just go off and do our own thing and don't see other divers until we get back on the boat. This is nice because when he finds something, I get as much time as I need to get images. This was especially nice when he found a hairy octopus last time I was there...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom