Lembeh Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We have been there 3x and I have never gotten bored! You will see all of what you want and more!I would agree Darnold9999 to go to BOTH in one trip. That is exactly what we did on our last trip to Indonesia. R4 first and ended up in Lembeh at the end! Excellent idea Darnold.
I guess my concern is that I'll get over there and it will all be the same... just a black sand desert. I'd like a little variety.
My main goal is photography and I want to get shots of mandarin fish, mimic octopus and wondrous, juvenile version of various fish, closed anemones with clown fish, etc. Lembeh seems to have all that

I'm going to Komodo in August, so there will be lots of reef action then. Don't have enough time to do more than one location so I'll save raja for another day. I keep searching for photos and video of lembeh, and all I get is black sand. I definitely want that, but I don't want to get bored with it. Gimme some corals, or a wall, or volcanic rock, just a little variety.

The dive sites themselves are not the draw in Lembeh, at least from my perspective. But if someone who likes to take pictures can get bored there, I would be enormously surprised. I know we did five days there and five days in Bunaken, and both of us wish we had spent the whole time at Lembeh, with maybe a day to see Bunaken's walls. The weird and the wonderful abounds in Lembeh, and every dive was a treasure hunt with a pretty much assured payoff.

I'm going to Komodo in August, so there will be lots of reef action then. Don't have enough time to do more than one location so I'll save raja for another day. I keep searching for photos and video of lembeh, and all I get is black sand. I definitely want that, but I don't want to get bored with it. Gimme some corals, or a wall, or volcanic rock, just a little variety.

Matt- there are more exotic critters than you can shake a stick at in Lembeh. For shooting macro it's heaven. Lot's of black sand muck but there is a great mini wall that blew my mind. Some other coral sites as well to break things up. I did a 17 day combo Bunaken/Lembeh 2 years ago and liked Bunaken and loved Lembeh. I did 10 days at Lembeh and didn't get even close to bored. This year I'm debating over Nusa Lembongan/Lembeh combo or Sipadan. And I'm really leaning to the Lembeh combo. The dives can push 80 min there and that kind of bottom time for Lembeh's prices are a steal.

We're going for a full two weeks to Lembeh in late December. I worry a bit that we'll regret not spending some of that time at Bunaken or Gangga, especially when I read some of the comments from people who have been there! (Thank goodness there are the other posters; you know who you are!)

To split it up was my original plan--we're coming from the East Coast, USA, after all, and that is a looonnnnggg way--but extensive research (talking to people and reading lots and lots of trip reports) convinced me that Bunaken or Gangga would be riskier in terms of weather. Also, we love the weird and the wacky, so can't see us getting bored. Jeez, I hope I made the right call--being the family trip planner is a big responsibility!

I like the idea of several days in lembeh and maybe a few in Bangka or bunaken

We did 10 days in Lembeh followed by a week at Bunaken. I was kicking myself the entire week at Bunaken...wishing we were still at Lembeh!!! Depending when you visit Bunaken, the currents can be a real pain in the neck. Lembeh is laid back diving with plenty of variety and some of the most amazing creatures you've ever seen. You can't go wrong diving Lembeh :D

North Sulawesi is a great area to dive...Bunaken, Bangka/Gangga and Lembeh all have something very different to offer. It is possible to do a combo with a couple of resorts and they will make sure it is smooth transition between the two on your transfer day.

Whatever you decide you will have a great time in the area!!!

We're going for a full two weeks to Lembeh in late December. I worry a bit that we'll regret not spending some of that time at Bunaken or Gangga, especially when I read some of the comments from people who have been there! (Thank goodness there are the other posters; you know who you are!)

To split it up was my original plan--we're coming from the East Coast, USA, after all, and that is a looonnnnggg way--but extensive research (talking to people and reading lots and lots of trip reports) convinced me that Bunaken or Gangga would be riskier in terms of weather. Also, we love the weird and the wacky, so can't see us getting bored. Jeez, I hope I made the right call--being the family trip planner is a big responsibility!

You may be able to do a day at Bunaken, depending where you're staying for Lembeh diving. I like to stay on the Bitung side rather than on Lembeh island, and in that case it's just a matter of an early wake up, a taxi ride to the other side of the peninsula to Manado, and a boat ride over to Bunaken for a couple of dives on the walls. It's a long day, but it can be done.

Bitung.jpg

Back
Top Bottom