Lembeh Strait Diving Permit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike Veitch

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Just a heads up to anyone planning on diving in Lembeh in the future.

As of 1 Februaru 2010 there is a new 50,000 Rupiah entrance fee for diving in Lembeh Strait.

This is payable as a one time fee for the duration of your stay if you are staying in Lembeh/Bitung area.

If you are diving Lembeh but staying in Manado you will have to pay 50,000 Rupiah per visit to Lembeh Strait.

Mike -

No problems paying a conservation fee, if it's well utilitzed. Certainly the Strait could use a little conservation, given the concentration of trash, fuel spills, oily bilge water, etc., that must be pervasive there. So what is this fee ... will it do anything to protect the marine life there, or is it just a fee for the sake of collecting a fee?

PS ... not shooting the messenger here ... :wink:

Well it is cheaper than the Raja Ampat fee....just hope it goes for conservation!

Thanks for the info.
I'd rather pay a fee and go to Lembeh than no paying anything and not going to Lembeh... :dork2:

Seriously, like Highdesert, I have no problem in paying taxes or special fees will go for the conservation of this fragile area.

Malène - already counting the days to her holidays in May in Lembeh....

seems like a good plan but is Rp 50,000 enough. I am sure the operators will keep on top of this to the best of their abilities

indeed Rp.50,000 is not much; but I am still interesting to know more detail the objective of this "entrance fee".
For Bunaken is very clear, as this place is marine conservation park; where no fishing activities is allowed. Lembeh is not marine park.
I guess this "entrance fee" is similar with other entrance fee in Indonesia where the main purpose is to increase local/district income rather than conservation purpose. So, don't expect too much.

Hey thanks for the info. Do you know if its one time per person or each person in your party pays it ? I will be there this month !! That would add up fast if you werent staying out there.
I also understand the departure/exit tax from Manado has been increased, any idea how much that is ??? Thanks !!!! are we there yet ???:idk:

Dear all,

Herewith attached the letter from the Dinas Pariwisata & Kebudayaan Kota Bitung.

I am happy that finally there is a regulation for the recreational diving in Lembeh Strait.

It can be of great value for the management of the recreational diving and the protection of the dive sites in Lembeh Strait.

Best regards,

Rob Sinke
Divers Lodge Lembeh
Lembeh Island, Bitung, North Sulawesi, Indonesia
Post address: Tromol Pos 54, Kantor Pos, Bitung 95500 Sulawesi Utara
Phone: +62 8124433754
Email: info@diverslodgelembeh.com
Website: Divers Lodge Lembeh Scuba Diving Resort - Customized diving Lembeh Strait Sulawesi Indonesia

---------------------------------------------------------------

Rules of conduct in relation to PERDA No 10 Tahun 2009

To minimize the negative side effects of the dive tourism on the marine life of Lembeh Strait, the Government of Bitung city made the following rules of conduct:

Every recreational scuba divers has to have a valid permit issued by the City of Bitung, before he/she is allowed to dive in Lembeh Strait. The dive centre is primarily responsible that their guests, dive guides and boat crew follow the rules of conduct.

• Valid permit of City of Bitung visible present on the boat. Name of dive center, name of guests, arrival and departure date and signature of the guest.
• No touching or disturbing the marine life
• No anchoring
• Not more than 4 divers per guide
• Maximum 15 divers including guides per dive site at the same time

Violation of the rules of conduct can be a risk Pidana and Perdata according PERDA KOTA BITUNG NOMOR 10 TAHUN 2009 PASAL 39.

In relation to Bitung Regional Law Number 10, 2009 about Tourism Retribution; Divers License, Divers who stay in Bitung City pay Pin Rp.50.000,- per person for the time of their continues stay during the year 2010. Divers who stay outside of Bitung City pay Ticket Rp.50.000,- per person per day.

Permits are available in Tourism Information Center of North Sulawesi, at the Sam Ratulangi Airport, Manado, every Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 11.00-14.00 and Tourism and Culture office of Bitung City on Monday-Friday at 08.00-15.00. Pin and Ticket sale start from 15 Februari 2010.

Seems a little strange to me that if you are staying in Bitung City you pay IDR50,000 for the duration of your visit, but if you are staying outside of Bitung then it is IRD50,000 per day. I think that it would make more sense to have an annual pass/fee of, say, IDR100,000 that applies to everyone regardless of where you stay.

Another idea...since many people who go to Bunaken also go to Lembeh, maybe they could combine the passes to cover both areas. I recognise that this might be difficult since Bunaken is a separate marine park.

Finally, I wonder what will the impact of fees in Lehbeh and Bunaken have on the Bangka/Gangga area?

Jason

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom