Lens for a new Nikon D800

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There a way to put the Tokina 10-17 on a full frame camera and have the full frame camera
NOT go to crop sensor mode? That would seem to be a nice setup for doing wide angle. You could
switch from horizontal to vertical without flipping the strobes around. Of course, you would have to
crop in post. Read this: The photography BLOG of Winnipeg photographer: Dan Harper That's with a
Nikon 10.5, but would be even easier with the Tokina's removable lens hood.

Chuck

Thanks for that post, Chuck. That's the single biggest drawback of the 10.5. It makes no sense that they didn't make it a removable hood. Otherwise, it's a nice, light lens that does shark work.

Does anyone know if the Nikon/Nikkor roadmap includes an FX fisheye or is the 10.5 it for the long-haul?

Is there a comparable zoom fisheye lens that would work with a full frame Nikon camera?

Vis'Art listed a Nikon 16-35 that covers a bit more range than the 10-17 (effective 15 - 24/5). Specs look pretty interesting, but I already have a prime 16 and 20, so I likely won't be pursuing that any further.

BTW, the 16 is considered a fisheye lens and is FX.

I've been thinking about getting the new 24-85 for midrange. I have the 16-35, 60 and a Tamron 90 for macro. All are great with the full frame sensor of the D800.AF-S NIKKOR 24-85 mm f/3.5-4.5G ED VR

I've been thinking about getting the new 24-85 for midrange. I have the 16-35, 60 and a Tamron 90 for macro. All are great with the full frame sensor of the D800.AF-S NIKKOR 24-85 mm f/3.5-4.5G ED VR

I have the 2.8-4 version of that lens and have used it a few times on a DX body. Went with the 16-85 shortly thereafter and solved the "fit" problem in an Ike housing. Ike says the lens diameter is too large (24-85 D 2.8-4), but it does fit - barely. Had to file the gear lobes and the clamp a bit, but I was able to get it to work. I'll be trying that lens again soon as I move to FX.

Underwater i use the Sigma 15mm Diagona Fisheye and the Nikon 105mm Micro VR on my D800. I would like to have the 16-35 f/4 VR also and next buy will be this lens as it is a affordable, extrem sharp and the zoom range make it handy for unexpected encounters of big stuff.
Also, why are you using cheap lenses with the beautiful piece of camera that is the D800???
Unfortunately this is true, due the extreme resolution and dynamic range, the D800 will record everything, also some/any flaws of lenses.
Chris

P.S. Be advised that the Sigma 15mm is picky with the dome;
due the extreme 180° fov and its very short size this lens may produce:
a) soft corners
b) vignette or photograph the edges or sunshade of the dome.

Is there a reason you choose the D800 over the D600. I'm tossed between the two. I know that the D800 is better. And, also more expensive. But isn't the D600 really good as well? I don't want to buy the D600 and wish I chose the D800.

I went with the D600 for a few reasons. 1. Seems counter-intuitive, but 24 MP vs. 36 MP. 24 doubles what I have now and I already have plenty. Didn't want to deal with file sizes associated with the D800. 2. Two SD cards vs. 1 SD and a CF slot. While there are advantages to the CF cards, I didn't want to deal with two different cards. 3. Liked the idea of the U1 and U2 to store settings (ie. settings used for Macro vs. Wide). 4. Lighter body.

What I gave up and may regret is focus points. The D600 has a compressed field. I use single point for macro and position the point to capture eye/nose/other specific feature. The narrow field of the D600 may affect composition as these points will be closer to the center of the photo than I am used to and certainly closer than the D800.

I'm sure there are other factors as well, but those were the main points guiding my decision. The difference in price was not a major factor, but with the current sales going on, the D600 is considerably less. Nikon is throwing in a 24-85 lens at $200 less than I paid for my body. Plus the perks Adorama and B&H throw into the package. Nice deal - even considered picking up a second body... but, MUST RESIST ;-).

If you are going to go full-frame, I'd go for the extra megapixels and the better auto-focus of the D800, which are its two best features imho..but either body can take great shots! - Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom