Lessons Learned at CSSP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CharleyT

Reaction score
Warning: This is a long, long post. My dive buddy and I were recently certified: 08/08/2004. She has been unable to dive more since our six training dives, I have added six more (total of 12). Our first outing was planned as a tiring, but fun day at Clear Springs Scuba Park in Terrell Texas, but it turned into anything but….

Using the NAUI tables, I planned 4 dives.

1) Max 50’ for 40 minutes. Itinerary:
a. Shore entrance at 0900.
b. Underwater navigation (UWN) to aircraft (A/C).
c. Mask remove and replace.
d. Regulator locate via sweep and blast clear.
e. Regulator locate via reach and purge clear.
f. Swim through A/C (buddies’ first time in there).
g. Find the deep channel E of the A/C and play in the cold.
h. Play around UW.
i. 15’, 3-minute safety-stop.
j. Call it a dive.

Issue #1: I NEVER eat breakfast. I always drink some type of protein drink. We stop and I-Hop and I have eggs, bacon, toast, hash browns. Needless to say, I have light heartburn for the rest of the day.

It took us longer than I thought it would to get our little site set up (we brought a tent to change in, as well as a place for me to nap (chuckle) while she sat outside and read a book during out SIT. We didn’t get into the water until 9:23, but that didn’t bother us at all.

Issue #2: I forgot to turn on my Computer. It must be turned on before descending. Although I still use the tables to plan our dives, and log dives, I like to have the computer so I get used to it (it is a 1996 Dacor Omni, so doesn’t tell me everything). So now I’m using my watch chronograph (my backup timer). Sharon just bought a new dive watch and is using the bezel for dive time.

The dive went off without a hitch. Sharon and I did great at skills and had a good swim. We went to 44’, got cold (I love gloves!) and had a 35 minute dive.

Issue #3: As I was deploying my DSMB for our 15’ 3-minute safety-stop (we always do one), Sharon was writing dive information on her arm slate. Next thing you know, we’re both at the surface with no safety stop.

Surface swam to our shore entrance area and walked out.

2) Max 40’ for 40 minutes. Itinerary:
a. Giant Stride off Dock
b. UWN to A/C.
c. Dive through A/C.
d. UWN to platform #1 (I really need to work on my UWN, Sharon always leads as she does it well, so I asked her to let me practice).
e. Work on buoyancy on the platform. I just got my Triple-L Orion BP/W combo and wanted to give it a workout.
f. UWN to A/C.
g. UWN to Dock at 15’ for our 3-minute safety-stop.
h. Call it a dive.

During our two-hour SIT, we met a new Diver (“C”). He was looking for someone to dive with. As he couldn’t find anyone else to dive with, we invited him with us. He was PADI certified some time ago, but said it had been a while since he had been down and that he wanted to do some nice mellow stuff (nothing over 30’). Although this changed our plans some, we said sure, as he is a nice guy.

Issue #4: Although we had at least 40 minutes together, we didn’t spend enough time going over signals. We did the basics, but Sharon and I read each other UW so well, we seem to know what’s going on with each other. We should have spent more time explaining to “C” what our hand signals mean.

Dive items a. and b. above went well (another Sharon UWN). We spoke on the surface about doing skills. Went to the A/C, kneeled on top, and “C” joined us in doing them. Dove the A/C and then went around it in circles.

Issue #5: I split up Sharon and myself, putting “C” in the middle. Although we had no problems UW, IMNSHO this was wrong. I should have stayed with her, and had “C” follow us. This put too much task loading on her.

Issue #6: Although “C” asked us to stay at 30’ max, we dipped down to 34’. We should have watched our depth better.

We had a good time (“C” had a little trouble with buoyancy but we never lost visibility to badly). Our safety-stop went well; the three of us hung onto each other and then called it a dive. Finished the dive at 37 minutes with a max of 34’.

Issue #7: We had a two and ½ hour SIT scheduled. Sharon and I had been sitting across from each other for 10 or 15 minutes chatting, eating lunch and doing our log books. “C” came over to do his. “C” asked Sharon what was wrong with her eyes. I look at her closely and both of her eye sockets are starting to turn red (like she’s busted the blood vessels near the surface around her eyes). Call over a Rescue Diver I know and ask him to take a look. He feels its mask squeeze and tell her she’s done for the day. She calls it a day and I agree that we’re done.

Issue #8: Feeling sorry for “C”; and Sharon not wanting me to go home because of her, I decide to go on a dive with just “C” and me. I should have followed my gut feeling and called it a day.

Issue #9: Yet another lone diver “L” shows up with his young family. “C” invites him to join us. He was SSI certified at some point, and appears to have few dives under his belt. Now it appears as though I, with 14 total dives, am the most trained person on the team.

Issue #10: Once again, we fail to brief hand signals as well as we could have.

Issue #11: New diver does not want to do skills as part of the dive. He seemed uncomfortable with my asking him to. “C” agrees that we should do them again, but I say that “L” told me no.

3) Max 50’ for 40 minutes. Itinerary:
a. Giant Stride off Dock
b. Surface swim to A/C.
c. Controlled descent to A/C
d. Dive through A/C.
e. Go to the trench area.
f. Play around there.
g. Go to the E wall area.
h. Swim generally back towards the W shoreline playing.
i. 3-minute safety-stop.
j. Call it a dive.

Surface swim to the A/C. Dropped down the buoy line and hung out there a moment. Using the slate, I asked if “L” had ever been in the A/C, he had not. So we did a quick swim though it.

Issue #12: I constantly look behind me for the other two divers. At times, I invert myself looking to make sure they are OK. I am task overloading myself, and greatly increasing my air consumption without realizing it.

We hit the trench, and “C” drops down to 46’ if I remember correctly. I hit 44’.

Issue #13: At 21 minutes into the dive, I am starting to get dizzy and lightheaded. This is something new for me, and I don’t like it. I stop the other two divers. Ask how they are feeling, they are fine. Tell them I am not feeling well, and begin calling the dive.

We did a 3-minute stop at 15’ and I am not getting any worse, nor better. Stomach is rolling, head is spinning.

We surface away from the dock and begin a surface swim to it. Dive is called with 24 minutes on the books.

Contacted same diver as before with Sharon’s issue and told him my symptoms. He told me to slowly begin re-hydration with water, and to sit down and relax. If I got worse, then we’d worry about a major issue, but he and I both felt it was all the head turning, and headstands I did, that got to me.

Issue 14: It appears my two diver partners are weak on their tables. I don’t know PADI’s or SSI’s. I’m lying back in a chair trying to stop the world from spinning out of control, and they both want me to help them fill out their logs. I ignore them.

They ended up doing another dive together and Sharon and I came back to Dallas.

Sharon and I have spoken over the phone a few times since then; making sure each other is OK. She’s a good dive partner and I feel I let us both down this weekend. We learned a lot on this day of diving. We’re both fine, but our eyes were opened by the whole experience. We are not going out Monday (tomorrow) so her eyes can heal. We’ll be back out there Saturday the 11th with some new insight into this wonderful sport. We’re both ready to get wet again, but have agreed that we are not experienced enough to lead other divers into the lake yet.

I hope this long rambling message helps someone else keep from having the same issues we had.

Charley

Hey, thanks for sharing, Charley. Looks like for the most part, you and your partner got some good dives in. I know what you mean though, about how the dynamics can totally change when diving with unfamiliar people, and having the responsibility put on you. One thing, is you're lucky to have a good partner to begin with in this sport. It looks like you have a good system worked out between you, esp. communication U/W, to the point that you both probably can anticipate each other's moves. Having a good partner you're comfortable with, someone who will not question when the other wants to call a dive for whatever reason, someone dependable and as safety conscious as you are, is very important so both of you can enjoy and get the most out of each dive.

You made a good point about remembering to trust our gut instinct. If it doesn't feel right, there's good reason. I read a great thing somewhere in this forum, where the person said something to the effect, "If you have to think about it, or hesitate, or ask someone else what they think, then just don't do it".

I'm a new diver too and there's still so much to learn, but the good thing is we're doing it as safely as we can, in consideration of those who are with us, and we're able to recognize what we might do better and improve on it the next time. Which reminds me, my U/W navigation stinks! Thank goodness for my dive buddy, who has the instincts of a carrier pigeon. :eyebrow:

Just a point of advice,

Stop entering the plane. Stop taking others inside the plane. Plenty of people will disagree with me, but it is an over head environment. It does have some entanglement hazards. This is not intended to be a flame, but a friendly word of caution.

You didn't let Sharon down. IMHO, you didn't let anyone down. I really don't see too much wrong with what you did (besides the plane).

Keep working on it.

TwoBit

I totaly agree with TwoBitTxn.

The only part that irritated me was "c" inviting another diver to join you and further impossing on your generousity. You should have just bowed out right there and said "why don't the two of you dive together" and then go join your buddy.

You're absolutely right, as a new diver you shouldn't take on so much responsibility (task loading). If you allow someone to dive with you and your buddy and they don't want to do the dive as you and your buddy planned, then politely ask them to find someone else to dive with...:)

CharleyT:
...It took us longer than I thought it would to get our little site set up (we brought a tent to change in, as well as a place for me to nap (chuckle) while she sat outside and read a book during out SIT...

Consider this: The function of the SI is to off gas nitrogen. Sleep lowers your respiration rate. This of course decreases the effeciancy of the off gassing process.

CharleyT:
...Issue #3: As I was deploying my DSMB for our 15’ 3-minute safety-stop (we always do one), Sharon was writing dive information on her arm slate. Next thing you know, we’re both at the surface with no safety stop...
Yep, it happens. You get focused on a task, and the next thing you know, you are not exhaling as much air as you are breathing in, and you start to rise. Lesson learned, you can't get that focused on a task, and keep checking a reference point or you computer. A new diver is especially prone to this as they tend to be totally focused on the task at hand.

I also want to agree with Twobit Txn. If you cannot swim straight up, it is not open water. Your training is Open Water. The aircraft is not open water. So, I do agree with them that you should not be in there or leading others in.

I wanted to take a moment and reply to the folks that have posted. Thank you for your comments both positive and educational. It's wonderful seeing people trying to teach each other. The one person who mentioned that their message was not a flame.. No it was not. It was a caring diver sharing experience and education. Thanks tons to all!

P.S. I saw Sharon this afternoon (we went to ScubaToys and did some shopping). Her eye sockets are almost back to normal color (very light brown tint). So we should be fine for this weekend.

Good diving to all!

Charley

I am glad she is recovering...

I wish you the best in all your future dives.

Gaining experience safetly requires paying dues - one way or the other. Inexperienced diver, out of practice, wants to bluff his way back into the water, and ask you to be responsible. Accident looking for a place.

If it comes up again, asnwer that you are not a Dive Master or Instructor, so he had better go hire one. Unless you are one someday, then charge him.

And drink sport drinks. Reverse Osmosis botteled water is not good for you. Big industry, harming consumers. I was delighted at our dive boat in Brockville Ontario for several reasons, and they passed our bottles of real spring water with traces of sodium and potassium listed.

Oh yeah, I always carry antacids in my dive bag, and share. :wink:

The mask problem may be that it is on too tight. As a novice, I've already found that a lot of people think the mask has to be strapped on tightly. They have the mask marks on their faces after the dive. The mask doesn't need to be tight, it just needs to be the right size for your face with nose, which could be the problem for some, and then snugly strapped on, not cinched down. The mask should fit comfortably on your face when looking up with no strap on, and it shouldn't hit the tip of your nose or the bridge of your nose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom