Let's Get Together to Use Public Access to Educate the Public

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok Dr.bill your a harvard guy,is there a sea hunt plot style that you can draw upcoming producers'directors'writers'to help edit'as in send them footage'they do a episode new style sea hunt version.
Yet each episode of a different sea creature:

My wife finds out I posted on my blackberry she will take it away also.
She took the computer out of the house, I told her that ever since we dove with Dr.Bill that diving everday and posting on scubaboard is a way of life.
Make me the new Mike Nelson or I have to get a job, I'm thinking.if I'm on TV she won't divorce me;

Even Dr.Bill could contact local SoCal Public Access stations and get his show run. The problem is most people don’t watch it or how to submit program materials. Here is a link to get started.

Gee, Dave... is that some sort of a dig? Actually the public access channels have contacted me.

VooDooGasMan... not about to let anyone cut regulator hoses these days (ala Sea Hunt). Back then with the dual hose regs you could cut the exhaust side and not do any damage. Now one cut and it's history...

Gee, Dave... is that some sort of a dig? Actually the public access channels have contacted me.

No - no dig at all! :D

What I meant to convey was anyone can produce a video, on any (within limits) subject and they are obligated to play it. I’ve seen your stuff, (it is good!) and I think it would get a much larger audience if you submitted it to PA channels here in SoCal.

Ah, I see. I agree, but the problem of distributing more than 100 episodes to all the networks with willing PA openings is a daunting one in terms of creating the discs and mailing them out. Since this is entirely a self-funded endeavor (and over the last 8 years has significantly reduced my retirement fund) I need to find funding to cover these and other expenses.

One of the ways I'm planning to do that is by producing the new, commercial series for cable. It is and integrated series of theme-based programs rather than just a series of dive highlights.

I'm pretty handy with Flash animation. That could be used for titles/animated diagrams/etc.

Also handy with Adobe Premiere.

Put the episodes up on an FTP site and let the users get them as needed.

Thal... great idea for the public access stuff. Of course I hope to make some $$$ with the commercial shows so I can afford to keep doing this.

I've just joined Sb but we are kind of trying to do a similar job here in Bermuda - ie educate the public to respect and preserve the marine environment. Our approach is get them while they are young and we produce educational programmes similar to teh Jason project showing school kids getting in the water, snorkeling and diving and being involved in marine research projects - we make it look fun while getting a message across and try not to preach but to inspire. The kids watching accept the message more easily from their peers and hopefully appreciate the value of the marine habitats and inhabitants. So we pitch to a younger target audience (and adults) and the message is delivered directly and indirectly by the student participants.

Very important approach, Benbda. I spent the first ten years of my educational career teaching kids from elementary to high school. The earlier we introduce them to the environment and the issues, the better.

By the way VooDooGasMan, I may be a Harvard guy... but an article last year in DAN's Alert Diver magazine referred to me as probably the lowest paid Harvard graduate ever. Unfortunately, they're probably not far from the truth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom