Let's Get Together to Use Public Access to Educate the Public

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ah, I see. I agree, but the problem of distributing more than 100 episodes to all the networks with willing PA openings is a daunting one in terms of creating the discs and mailing them out. Since this is entirely a self-funded endeavor (and over the last 8 years has significantly reduced my retirement fund) I need to find funding to cover these and other expenses.

If there were, say, 4 producers creating underwater related shows in 4 different regions -- with just a little bit of organization and a little funding they could all send their master DVDs to a central location that would make copies of each master and mail one package with the 4 different producers' works in it to each of the stations. That would lower the per/producer cost and free the producers of the distribution chores so they could spend more time diving and making videos or whatever.

Of course, if you have a 100 episode backlog that adds up to a sizeable sum -- but if someone can find sponsors who think it's worthwhile, problem solved.

Whether public access, ftp, streaming or whatever, there also needs to be some promotion to let people know about it -- also a task where more leverage could come from sharing the load.

Rakkis, stay in touch -- I sometimes have need for animated diagrams -- I think they're really great when trying to explain something in a video. And as you can see from some of my episodes (SEA-Inside: Home) my show could also use a little spicing up. Like Dr. Bill though, I don't have $$ to throw at the problem, so I just do the best I can until I find volunteers willing to help.

Thanks for all of you for keeping this discussion alive, I look forward to seeing how it evolves.

I'm leaving for the mainland on the early morning boat and will be giving a series of talks to the students in USC's Environmental Studies Dept. One of the things I'm going to include in my talks is the concept of using available media, including public access cable TV, to get environmental messages out to the public.

Hey doc you made it in the world record book.

More in thbe line of your conections' some of them must be tied in with Hollywood, or there advertising funding ideas.

Or maybe show them your Dan article at the next reunion, e mail it for a quicker reply.

Hard could'nt be as harsh as sb'ers.

I work for a small video production company in Mo, and I love the idea of putting something together for PA to show local divign in the midwest. The problem that I would have is that I do not have anyway of shoting anything. I have tried to get the company to buy a housing for our cameras and I always get the same response "Show me how we will make money from it and I will buy one."

I really like the idea though and I may have to look into it a little more. I just think that like you guys it would all be out of pocket, unless I can get a group of people together to help out and raise some money for it somehow.

Thanks for the great idea. It has really got me thinking.

Phil

"Show me how we will make money from it and I will buy one."

It's hard to argue with that -- the people making a profit off their underwater video rigs are certainly the exception rather than the rule.

Keep in touch, maybe there are ways we can build a network of like-minded people who can somehow help each other.

In the mean time, think your PA station might want to air my TV series? I'll be happy to send it to them (or you if they require a local sponsor). That would make station #40!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom