Let's start a weekly photo theme.... today let's all post Splendid Toadfish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice work!

GREAT idea for a thread, robint! I'm loving the pictures -- we saw some toadfish on our Coz trip, but they were all tucked back away in holes.

I had to laugh at the video, though, because the fish reminded me of the students we had in the pool last night. It's fine to swim in a straight line with your fins, but you need your hands to change directions . . .

Great thread. I love seeing other peoples pics even though they put mine to shame. It gives me something to aspire to.

Keep them coming!

Lionfish eater, that was amazing footage! I had no idea they were that huge!

IMG_1777.jpg

Lionfish eater, that was amazing footage! I had no idea they were that huge!

hahaha.... gotta tell you a funny (to me) story about toadfish. I have been going to Cozumel for 12 years now and so the splendid toadfish was something I was very accustomed to seeing on dives. Well, we went to Roatan a few years back and the DM told us he was going to show us the Roatan toadfish (yes, they have one too). At the end of the dive he called everyone over and got us in a circle in front of a coral head with a very large hole. He pulled a chunk of lobster out of his pocket and dangled it in front of the hole. Out shoots this toadfish the size of a Bulldog! I jumped back and almost spit out my reg. It was friggin huge and fast and ripped that lobster into shreds like a bulldog on a piece of meat! LOL I was expecting a cute little Cozumel toadfish but this dude was neither small nor cute.

here is a photo of the Large-eyed toadfish native to that area. It is hard to get perspective on size, but I would say he was a good 10x the size of the Cozumel splendid toadfish.
21Nov08_LargeEyeToadfish040.jpg

robin

IMG_0636.jpgThis is a different photo of a Splendid Toad fish. I am curious if anybody can answer this question. Some photos show their eyes as cloudy and white while others show clear, normal looking eyes. In humans this is a result of cataracts, do the cloudy eyes indicate age or cataracts in these toad fish? Silly question, but I figured this would be the ideal thread to post this inquiry.

I love the story and photo of the Roatan guy. Only a face his mother could love!

Out shoots this toadfish the size of a Bulldog!

robin

Somewhere, I have a video of one of those guys on a tape we were given or bought on a trip to Roatan. Our divemaster was feeding him chicken. He is a monster!

Here's one I took in March of 2010.

IMG_4407.JPG

And here's a Belizean Toadfish from June, 2009.

sundancer_ii_belize_june_09_698.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4407.jpg
    IMG_4407.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 51
  • sundancer ii belize june '09 698.jpg
    sundancer ii belize june '09 698.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 45
here is a photo of the Large-eyed toadfish native to that area. It is hard to get perspective on size, but I would say he was a good 10x the size of the Cozumel splendid toadfish.

I saw a toadfish in Roatan (nowhere near as splendid as the Cozumel variety, needless to say) but again, it was in its hole. I've never seen either variety free-swimming. I had no idea they were so huge and so LONG! Wow!

Edited to add: I just looked up toadfishes in my Humann Deloach Fish ID. None of them appear to grow more than 12 inches. What gives? Is this a case of everybody looking bigger on film?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom