Let's start a weekly photo theme.... today let's all post Splendid Toadfish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cozumel 2011 272.jpgCozumel 2011 187.jpg

Both taken in Dec 2011

Dmoore, I believe the splendid is endemic to Cozumel.

My son took this one several years ago when we went to Cozumel and when he was still pretty new at UW photography. Now he's super-critical about it, of course, but I still like it. The color, the pattern, the fathomless eyes--they really are fabulous, aren't they? This one, btw, I distinctly remember was quite small.

splendid toadfish.jpg

And with a scarlet lady shrimp... they're so cute...

Sorrows, I agree that yours is a little guy. Look at the cool patterning on his lips and the shading of his stripes!

Okay, I have a question for the lucky divers who got footage/photos of the splendid toadfish OUT of his hidey place? Pure luck or success after diligent waiting? Time of day or place? Pointers for the rest of us?

They don't have the bodies you'd think they would have, do they? And I wonder if there was an evolutionary pressure that caused them to develop these patterns and colors or did it just develop that way and there was no pressure to alter it? (Darwin had a term for this, I know.)

Toadfish are found on most sites in Cozumel. Once found to get them out, I use a salmon lure called a hootchie with the hook and barb cut off. Dangle it in front of the opening and if the toadfish is interesting, they will come out and try to eat it. The hard part is trying to get the toadfish out and take a shot at the same time, here are some shots with the lure in the picture.

How-To-Get-A-Toadfish.jpg

P1010128.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom