Lets tell the less experienced what our OWC was like..... ( if you remember)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always had a bit of a nervous stomach prior to my first dives. I just chalked it up to the fact that it was new and would get better with time.

Now that I have advanced to the point of being a "technical" diver and using a rebreather, I still get the same feeling before every single dive. It doesn't matter how comfortable I am in the water, prior to the dive I am nervous.

I almost quit before my certifying dive. I had anxiety attacks under the water and was a nose breather that could not keep my mask on out of the water. Now, after 5 years, I have more than 1,200 dives under my belt and have done dives that others would have called due to circumstances. However, I always dive within my limits and safety zone.

LOL my first dive was a resort course discover dive in Maui. I was hooked though I could not swim (Go figure huh).

Now for certification my instructor earned his great feedback here because I recall going in signing up having this discover dive on my mind then it hit me when it said the requirements. Snorkle .... Check Swim Check float check EEEERRRR WAIT SWIM???????? Now I knew I was in trouble mainly because I could not swim 6 inches. So off I went to the Y and away I went ith trying to do the swim. Man I crawled out of the pool out of breath cursing and my poor girlfriend trying to calm me down. (Ever seen a pissed off law enforcement officer rant LOL) It wasnt pretty and the entire Y soon knew in a less then desirable way that I could not swim. But they were good to me and just snickered. I figured Id try the float and man I sucked big time :(

Ok now came the moment of truth and I called my instructor mad because I could not swim so he told me to come in and sit down and hed work with me. He was so slow motioned and clam voiced that if you could not understand him you just did not speak english. He showed me the float and a few trys and bam I had it. Dont know how but he taught me. Secondly was the snorkle. He said it was either or for the snorkle or swim so I opted the snorkle as I was able to at least snorkle. So I passed and from then on it was smooth sailing (For a while until I did Dive master LOL)

Well after the pool session went well it was off to the lake a few weeks later. Like many open water students I was excited and we made our plans to do our dives. I recall asking right off if there were snakes in the water. The reply was no and of course I found the only one in the lake it seems. About 4 foot long black with brownish rings all around it almost appearing to have swam through alot of mud (I was told later it was a water moccasin) and I recalled freezing as it swam towards me on the surface. As it did approach I froze completely even holding my breath to not move the water at all and he swam right towards me and then looked kind of towards me then swam off towards the middle of the lake.

The open water was amazing as I recall swimming out towards the buoy which sat in 20 feet of water. I recall the sense (Ok this is it deep water) but after a few bouts and with the skills performed it has never been the same. With time I have become more and more comfortable but I will never forget the snake that came to visit.

I must say I perfected an underwater sighn totally off the normal list---The forehead slap. Pretty self explainatory.

I loved the pool work. Driving up to the quarry (Dutch Springs) I told my three dive buddies that I thought I would go on to at least rescue diver, I liked diving sooo much! Set the stage: Dutch Springs in November (PA mountains for those un-initiated) 48 degree water, snow on the ground, 7mm farmer john wet suit, hood, gloves, 30 lb of weight (no hips) Ugh!. I barely survived when the first trickle of water went down my back. My weight belt slipped around my ankles, I felt like the "Stay Puff" marshmallow man. These dives sucked!!!!. It took about a week for my ears to
clear snorting Vicks vapor rub. I debated all week would I go back for the last dives. I did, never had a problem since. Now an Instructor Trainer and posting on ScubaBoard. Who woulda thunk!

At the time I thought my OW course was pretty good but that was before I took another 35 years later. You just dont know what you dont know. My NAUI class I recieved for christmas in 1976 consisted of three 1-1/2 hour sessions (1/2 hour classroom 1 hour pool) one night a week for 3 weeks. Then the first open water check out dive was at Folsom Lake. The second was at Bodega bay in late feb/early march with 6" vis. The instructor turned me loose when the other student freaked out when he could not see his hands in the water. I still remember the instructor saying "You have this stuff down pretty good. I have to stay with him so just go paddle around and be back in 30 min. You will be fine.":shakehead: The last dive was in monterey and was turned loose again. This time I ran out of air and was really glad they covered "J" valves in class.:depressed: Long surface swim back to the beach. Got my cert card in the mail 3 or 4 weeks later.

After being out of diving due to Military and then family for 35 years I got back into it and decided to just take another OW course. This time through PADI 1 Week of home study,(spent 2 hours a night) 6-8 hours of class time over 2 days(the last 1-1 1/2 hours going over tables) 10+ hours pool time over 2 days (2 sessions each day) and 4 open water check out dives in monterey over 2 days.

As you can tell my PADI couse was a lot more intensive thats why I get a surprised look on my face everytime I read all the PADI bashing lack of standards posts I read.
Dive safe, Dive happy
Tac

I almost quit before my certifying dive. I had anxiety attacks under the water and was a nose breather that could not keep my mask on out of the water. Now, after 5 years, I have more than 1,200 dives under my belt and have done dives that others would have called due to circumstances. However, I always dive within my limits and safety zone.

Boy, am I glad I have stuck with this thread and continued reading all of your stories, good and bad. After my first day of class, I went home depressed and thinking there was no way I was going to be able to do the mask removal and clearing my mask. I could do the partial fill in class and just hold my breath but we all know you can't do this in "real life." The above post though has given me hope that I might actually survive this thing called SCUBA diving! My husband and I are looking forward (OK, my husband is) to our OW certification dives this coming weekend (in a chilly, murky lake in Missouri) and this nose-breathing thing is my biggest worry. Not the cold or the low visibility or even the "unknown" stuff that I often find myself worrying about. I too, am a natural born nose-breather (or so says our DM). I have finally figured out the mask removal and clearing my mask but I still have trouble keeping my mask on out of water.

Apparently, there's a way I can train myself NOT to be a nose breather so this is my goal in life right now. :( Thank you all for sharing your experiences. They really do help!

IslandGirl-PT,
Yes, keep at it! Practice at home. Put your mask on around the house to force yourself to breathe through your mouth. I used to be a swimmer and it was hammered in me for years to exhale through my nose when my face was in the water. If you have access to a pool put your gear on and practice in shallow water, knowing that if you "freak out" all you have to do is lift your head, spit out your reg and remove your mask without harming yourself. You WILL eventually get used to it. Many times it's the ones that have the hardest time learning the skills become the most avid divers.....by the time they become comfortable they REALLY have the skills down.....lol

Keep us posted on your experiences!

Boy, am I glad I have stuck with this thread and continued reading all of your stories, good and bad. After my first day of class, I went home depressed and thinking there was no way I was going to be able to do the mask removal and clearing my mask. I could do the partial fill in class and just hold my breath but we all know you can't do this in "real life." The above post though has given me hope that I might actually survive this thing called SCUBA diving! My husband and I are looking forward (OK, my husband is) to our OW certification dives this coming weekend (in a chilly, murky lake in Missouri) and this nose-breathing thing is my biggest worry. Not the cold or the low visibility or even the "unknown" stuff that I often find myself worrying about. I too, am a natural born nose-breather (or so says our DM). I have finally figured out the mask removal and clearing my mask but I still have trouble keeping my mask on out of water.

Apparently, there's a way I can train myself NOT to be a nose breather so this is my goal in life right now. :( Thank you all for sharing your experiences. They really do help!

You are the reason I started this Post... Im so happy and thrilled that it was able to help...

Thanks a ton to everyone who shared there OW experience, if we get just one person in the water because of it, well SUCCESS,....

Here's to many more shared experiences....

KT

"if at first you don't descend, try and try again"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom