Life and Death on Golf Ball Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I like to believe that I know when not to dive. Every now and then that belief comes back to bite me. Today was one of those days. Conditions have kept me out of the water for two weeks. The swell models predicted calm seas for today, so I headed out for a pre-dawn trip to get gas and make a couple of dives. The ocean had other plans.

As I exited King Harbor in Redondo Beach I considered turning around. It was windy and swells were only a couple of seconds apart. I changed plans and decided to rough it and make a single dive close by.

As I descended next to the barrel at Golf Ball Reef I knew I wouldn't be covering much ground today. Surge and less than ten feet of visibility were my reward for going out today. Fortunately there were things to see within thirty feet.

Three Peltodoris mullineri were tailing as I began to explore the reef. There was also a lot of mating and egg laying going on. Aplysia californica, California sea hares were piling up and depositing sperm and eggs on the rocks, while small nudibranchs were pairing up nearby.

A bright object caught my eye about twenty feet west of the barrel. The skull and vertebrae of a toothless animal was being cleaned by snails and calico bass. The skull is about eighteen inches long. It seemed to be too small for a whale and the wrong shape for a dolphin or seal/sea lion. In spite of the poor conditions, I wish I hadn't taken my 105mm lens.

Golf%20Ball%20Reef_ART0687_zpsji38wpco.jpg

Golf%20Ball%20Reef_ART0686_zpsbupgeqsu.jpg

Golf%20Ball%20Reef_ART0685_zpsmjfxuc32.jpg

Golf%20Ball%20Reef_ART0684_zpsjit5fdq4.jpg

Golf%20Ball%20Reef_ART0693_zpsoyfgtqld.jpg

Sea hare egg mass

Golf%20Ball%20Reef_ART0692_zps3iwffafb.jpg

Rathbunella hypoplecta, Bluebanded Ronquil, female

Golf%20Ball%20Reef_ART0703_zpsodkppib3.jpg

Tailing Peltodoris mullineri

Golf%20Ball%20Reef_ART0696_zpspxwrdxmn.jpg

Doriopsilla albopunctata

Golf%20Ball%20Reef_ART0673_zpsyf8yzq8u.jpg

Diaulula sandiegensis

Golf%20Ball%20Reef_ART0701_zpshsdupfp7.jpg

Triopha catalinae

Golf%20Ball%20Reef_ART0672_zpsiq9i5dpd.jpg

Berthella californica

Golf%20Ball%20Reef_ART0718_zpspczyz3gv.jpg

Thordisa rubescens

Golf%20Ball%20Reef_ART0712_zpssyviqjwx.jpg

Astrometis sertulifera , Fragile Rainbow Star

Astrometis sertulifera is one of the sea star species that have claw-like pedicellaria surrounding each spine. These are used in defense, capturing prey, and controlling fouling organisms.

Last edited:
Still not sure. I looked up various skulls and haven't found a match. If the ocean ever calms down I'll take a wider lens. I'm thinking my neighbors barbecued their dog and disposed of the evidence. :)

Interested to see what you find out on the skull. Nice closeup of the Astrometis sertulifera. I was in So Cal recently for a few dives in Santa Cruz Island. Hope to get the report and pictures posted up before I head to Poor Knights Island, NZ at the end of this month. Missing you and Merry! Look forward to when we can reconnect buddy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom