Life Insurance for a SCUBA Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GlockDiver:
I too cannot stress how important it is to have a will. Trusts are good and well, but they are not substitutes for a well written Will.

Don't buy one of those DIY Will kits. Sit down with a good attorney and do it right. Also don't forget to review it with said lawyer every few years.

Aside from that, you know rule #1 of life insurance policies. Once you get one, don't ever cancel it.

GlockDiver, nice name....anyway, you are totally correct on rule #1. My mother took out a policy on me years ago that had no questions concerning scuba diving or skydiving.....and a few years later I started both...now when when I mention that I am a skydiver and a scuba diver when shopping for insurance....they want to charge a lot more.....I am glad that old policy is still out there...

Kenny :crafty:

I sell insurance for a company that is licensed in several states. The only difference between diver and non-diver is the insurance class... meaning your premium rate. Myself and my husband are considered basic non-smokers, and not eligible for the lower preferred rates. That's the only difference between diver/non-diver.

Yes, it is ALWAYS best to be truthful on your application.

Not sure about in the USA but in Canada, just like commercial pilots, commercial divers will get rated. Recreational divers and those who fly for enjoyment do not get rated. Life insurance among other products are on my product shelf so I am more than a little knowledgable on this subject. The best thing to do is be honest and ask where the policy states it's exclusions. In most cases it's pretty black and white. Do not take the sellers word for it and ask to see where it mentions that recreational diving, flying, etc are excluded and if it doesn't say that anywhere than ask to get the underwriters copy of inclusions or exclusions.

Back
Top Bottom