Light, but stiff travel fin: Oceanic Accel or Hollis F2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had an opportunity at Dutch Spring last week to test out my Hollis F2s and the new Deep Six Eddys.The sizes are, respectively, Small and Large. The large Eddy is just a bit too big for my foot/bootie, but I've ordered some new Poseidon One Shoes that I hope will fit a bit better.

Lengths are similar, the Eddys being about 2 inches longer, but the same width within a quarter inch. Their weights are 3.6 pounds (F2) and 4.6 pounds (D6).for the pair of fins. [For comparison, my old Dive Rite XT fins, size Large, (plastic buckles) are 4.9 pounds and my new XTs (metal buckle) are 5.9 pounds. Length is about 3 inches longer than the D6 Eddys, width about the same.]

In fresh water, both the D6 Eddy and the Hollis F2 sank very slowly; I expect both are slightly positive in salt water.

I swam a measured course (the length of the platforms near the instructor entrance) with the F2s and the Eddys. The number of continuous fin kicks (frog kick) was essentially the same for the two fins; however, using a kick-and-glide motion, I reduced the number of fin kicks by 10% with the F2s and 25% with the Eddys. thisb is a significant difference and tells me the kick is more powerful with the Eddys and gives me more glide. I wish I'd had my XTs with me to repeat the test!

I've owned both, I have very small feet, 6.5, I could never get s good fit out of the F2s, the foot pocket is huge. The Accels foot pocket is rather large too but once I put some Mares bungee straps on them I was able to get a good fit. Performance wise I found them to be similar with a possible edge for the Accels. The Accels are noticeably lighter than the F2s which are by no means heavy either. I ended up selling both as found both somewhat lacking in any sort of current. For no current travel diving I'd choose the Accels over the F2s. The F2s are of a sturdier construction.

+1 for buddhasummer comment. I found that the F2 did not perform well in current-rich conditions, mostly from personal experience in Indonesia. I found that F2 fins are a bit floppy and lack the power of a jet fin. My wife uses Accels and would agree that the fins are not great in heavy current (e.g.,Komodo,Islands, Bali..). She will borrow a pair of the new Apek fins. These might be a good for her dive style. I use freediver fins for most of my diving, with the exception of wrecks.

I too own the Apeks and although I do like them quite a lot, for current diving they are not. Less stiff than a jet fin, blade size same as a large jet. Much more comfortable and neutral/positively buoyant if that's important. My current all round fav fin is the DiveRite XT, relatively light, as compared to a Jet, good in currents but they are quite stiff.

Hmm...I actually find my Accel OK with current conditions. Leg powers might have something to do with it? :popcorn:

Anyway, I like mine. Foot pocket is a bit odd for sure. My feet are size 9 and my Accel fins are size S.

I think it is a pretty good performing pair of fins given it's lightness.

My husband has the hollis F2 fins and he loves them. He has no issues in current and just from handling them they seem much stiffer than my jets that I take on vacations, but WAY lighter. It's great because his luggage is lighter and so I can put some of my stuff in his bags :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom