Light Cannon HID or Shockwave LED

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a light cannon as my primary.no complaints at all about penetration at all.burn time is the only issue about 2 hrs. The Princeton Tec has alot longer burn time but not as bright.Bulb replacement on the light cannon is more expensive.I love my Light Cannon.

I own and like both lights. The Shockwave LED has a much broader beam. I prefer the LED to the Light Canon for night dives. If the sun is out (so your eyes are consricted), but you want to light up under a ledge the HID's brighter and tighter beam is enough extra light to be seen.

HID take 30 seconds or more to fully light up, so it's not good if you like to flick your light on and off (which tends to be when lights fail... not a good idea). I don't feel the LED throws enough light to be a great daytime dive light. Since I own both, I bring them both on dive trips. (Then I have two sets of batteries.)

If you were going to pick one, I'd reccomend the HID, because it's a good night dive light, and also enough for a daytime dive. If you only want a light for night dives, I prefer the LED for it's broad (and bright enough for night time) beam. If you dive in water with less than 40 foot visibility, I think you'll see another advantage of the tighter beam of the Canon.

As far as customer service goes, I'd rank Underwater Kinetics very good, but Princeton Tec's service is outstanding.

Have you considered the new dive rite handheld HID? I just got some and they are pretty slick, and in a normal flashlight size.

Brent

My buddy dives with a UK Cannon HID, and I dive with a UK C8 eLED.

For photography, the eLED is much better as a "light" for night-time subjects, the HID was too bright.

for just diving around, the HID is much much stronger and better. It also has a much shorter life, appx like changing batteries 3 times for every time I change my eLED batteries.

You can always cut down the amount of light the LIght Cannon is putting out, especially if you're taking it for photography/video- It's better to have extra light and reduce rather than have not enough light and wish for more. Also, have you ever tried putting a diffusion filter or ND filter or something up to change the light qualities?

Check out the new C8 eLED Plus, it's fantastic, and we've got it on sale for only $114.95. This light has 10 watt twin LED module that will provide you with great lighting for your needs.
http://www.crazyscuba.com/pd_underwater_kinetics_c8eled.cfm

Plus, add your discount code "blowout1" for the total liquidation moving blowout sale we're having and you'll save even more! (Use "camera1" for camera gear & accessories).

Good diving!
Britt

crestgel:
UK Light Cannon HID

Or

Princeton Shockwave LED

looking for good light penetration and good color rendition.

I will use this as a primary light. if there are other lights that I should be looking at please post.

You might also want to consider the UK C8 eLED+. It is a competitor to the Princeton Tec Shockwave LED. Don't confuse the C8 eLED + with the C* LED. They are dramatically different lights.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom