Light dilemma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm not sure whether this should be in the DIR forum, but here goes:

My "team" and I are about to put down a huge amount of money for three Salvo canister lights. We are not cave divers, but my two friends are suffering from serious "light envy" and are going for the 9 Amp 24W. I have been advised by my instructor to get the 9 Amp 18 W (mainly for the 90 minutes longer burntime), which I think is sound advice.

My dilemma is: should I buy the same light as my "team mates" so that there will be no spare parts (i.e. bulb) problems? Or should I go with my instinct/sound advice from instructor and get the 18W?

Salvo 9 Amp 18W HID and 9 Amp 24W HID are identically priced at approx. US$1,200.

Talk to Barry, I belive the bulbs will be the same for the 21 and 18 watt versions. The ballast is the only diffrence and if you blow that you wont be making any field repairs.

Vie:
I'm not sure whether this should be in the DIR forum, but here goes:

My "team" and I are about to put down a huge amount of money for three Salvo canister lights. We are not cave divers, but my two friends are suffering from serious "light envy" and are going for the 9 Amp 24W. I have been advised by my instructor to get the 9 Amp 18 W (mainly for the 90 minutes longer burntime), which I think is sound advice.

My dilemma is: should I buy the same light as my "team mates" so that there will be no spare parts (i.e. bulb) problems? Or should I go with my instinct/sound advice from instructor and get the 18W?

Salvo 9 Amp 18W HID and 9 Amp 24W HID are identically priced at approx. US$1,200.
I chose the 18W ... primarily for the longer burn time. But to be honest, due to the "whiter" color (7000 K for the 18W vs 6000K for the 24W), the 18W penetrates the murky water we typically dive in better than the 24W. So although the 24W has more light output (1800 lumens, vs. 1300 for the 18W), there is very little practical difference underwater ... an 18W will be quite visible amongst the 24W lights, and the color difference may actually make you slightly more visible, depending on conditions.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I don't own a canister light yet, but just wanted to point out incase you were interested that fifthd.com has the halcyon can lights on sale right now for alittle less than the salvo lights. I'm not making any kind of a statement about which is better, cause I wouldn't know, but if you were considering the H lights it is a great price.
edit- oh, and fwiw.. My instructor gave me the same advice, said the 18 watt was a better choice

Thanks you for your views so far, guys.

Thanks for the heads up re discounted H lights at Pacific Rim, Jasonmh.

NP, also I forgot to say that the sale is only going on thru Sunday.

salty:
Talk to Barry, I belive the bulbs will be the same for the 21 and 18 watt versions. The ballast is the only diffrence and if you blow that you wont be making any field repairs.

You are absolutely right - the bulbs for the 18, 21 and 24W lights are the same. Should have done my research...

Personally I'd recommend the 18W. I use to have the old 21W and I prefer the whiter light of the 18W for signalling. However if you are planning video work then the 24W is a more natural colour - one of my buddies who shoots a lot of video really rates it.

Cheers
Al

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom