Light Fins for Travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If traveling with Accels I'd keep the fin inserts in them. The material is rather thin. I had a pair in storage that must have had something pressing against them and it created a crease in the foot pocket that could only be removed by applying heat. I think the F2s are a more robust travel fin being made from much thicker monoprene. YMMV.

Underwear works nicely as an insert, as well :)

I'm a recent convert to the Apex RK3, which is a lot like a jetfin/slipstream, but made of a slightly softer material, it's got metal spring heelstraps like the Hollis F1s I was using before, but I love the softer pockets.

They're also lightweight, like slipstreams(ever so slightly more, about +150 grams, or just under 5 ounces).

They lose a little power compared to traditional jetfins or slipstreams, but are much more comfortable than slipstreams or aforementioned Hollis F1s, they're also better for flutterkicks than the super-stiff fins, and not quite as tiring. They're a bit of a compromise between a jetfin and something like an avanti quattro.

All in all, they're a dream to dive with, and the slight max power loss vs jetfins shouldn't matter much except maybe in the most current/surge heavy areas.

I'm a recent convert to the Apex RK3, which is a lot like a jetfin/slipstream, but made of a slightly softer material, it's got metal spring heelstraps like the Hollis F1s I was using before, but I love the softer pockets.

They're also lightweight, like slipstreams(ever so slightly more, about +150 grams, or just under 5 ounces).

They lose a little power compared to traditional jetfins or slipstreams, but are much more comfortable than slipstreams or aforementioned Hollis F1s, they're also better for flutterkicks than the super-stiff fins, and not quite as tiring. They're a bit of a compromise between a jetfin and something like an avanti quattro.

All in all, they're a dream to dive with, and the slight max power loss vs jetfins shouldn't matter much except maybe in the most current/surge heavy areas.

I've been taking a good, hard look at these. Thanks for your comments :)

I've been taking a good, hard look at these. Thanks for your comments :)
No problem. I got them mainly because the pockets on the Hollis F1s would cut into my instep when used hard, and I wanted something lightweight like the slipstreams to cut down travel weight anyway. The softer pockets is what won me over, and it was love at first dive.

In zero to light current the F2s are a great fin but hit a moderate and up current you'll likely be struggling, well I was anyway. They say "length" doesn't matter but regarding fins I think it does. Mares Avanti Quattro + are only very slightly heavier than F2s but in a current there is no contest, the extra length of the Mares makes, IMO, a huge difference. I tried to love the F2s but even after buying a replacement pair to try again, no love was found. If you want short and light I think the Accels are a better fin.

---------- Post added October 8th, 2015 at 02:12 AM ----------

After spending a lot, way too much, money in my quest for the ultimate travel fin I finally gave up and now just take my everyday favourite regardless of weight or length. Being able to fin properly and fight currents is more important to me that a fin that packs nice. Now there's a 180.

---------- Post added October 8th, 2015 at 02:14 AM ----------

I'm sure the OMS are nice but if you have small feet, just like an M or L Jet, you're still stuck with a very short/stumpy blade.

I had a similar experience as you. In search of the ultimate travel fin I tried APS Mantarays, Force Fin Pros, and Accels. I liked the Accels the best but even they struggled in current. I could power my way through but it took extra effort. I came to the conclusion that the shorter fins just don't do as well in current as the longer fins.
I since found that full foot fins are phenomenal with power and in currents. The full foot fins are light and as bonus tend to be cheaper. They're still too long to fit in carry on bag though. I wear mine with 2mm Argos boots. Obviously if you dive cold water or have to hike over rocky terrain these wont work. Otherwise a great solution for travel.

I have to disagree here. While the APS Mantarays were not the best agaist strong current, the stiffer Hollis F2s are excellent. I hate swimming against current and encounered plenty of that in Bali in September and found that my F2s coped superbly. They are a brilliant overlal fin - short, lught, great propulsion and especially good for quick turns and awkward positioning as for UW photography.

I found the F2s lacking in current. I, yesterday, got some Apeks RK3 fins and agree with everything Kaerius said, my limited experience thus far exactly.

Last edited:
Fins.jpg
These are lightweight and come in different colours for those low vis dives.

GJS

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom