light monkey 50w hid vs tillytec 3000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Valery

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hi guys,
I can't test neither of these 2 torches so can you help?
Is the 3000 as strong as the 50w of light monkey? I don't know which one to buy

I can tell you personally a 50w light monkey will be your best bet. Led's currently aren't as bright as hid's, and the brighter ones aren't as focused. Although hid's are fragile, it will take a lot to bust the bulb (my buddy owns a 50w light monkey and beats the hell out of it).

Plus light monkey is a well known and well reputable company. The tilly lights look like they have to many bells and whistles, which in my experience, normally translates to less reliable.

I can't agree more with what you said, this is what motivate me:

light monkey:
pros: 50w
cons: hid tend to be less heavy duty, price.

tillytec3000:
pros: led is more heavy duty, it seems that on some pics I saw that the beam is very tight, price is cheaper than LM.
cons: I'm affraid it doesn't have the punch of the 50w

In conclusion if i could be sure that the 3000 is as power full or a little less than the 50w I think I would go for it.

True where the bulb is more susceptible to busting the filament, dropping it on pavement seems to be the only issue i have seen with the 50w LM. My friend takes his on just about every dive, using it while lobster hunting, wreck diving, reef diving, he is NOT gentle with his light.

The efficiency is currently only better by 2-4 watts (I think for every 10 watts), sure the led is efficient but, the driver which provides regulated power is normally only 83-87% efficient(17-13% energy loss normally for total watts).

Light monkey 50WHID.. bought one about 2 months ago and absolutely no regrets---actually yes I do have 1.. that I didn't get it sooner.. I go lobstering..it gets knocked around quite a bit and is very durable. Would I intentionally drop it off a ledge--no.. but as long as your treat it the way it should be treated do not worry about HID. LED technology hasn't caught up to HID and the HID light is simply better. I have had over 3 1/2 hour of burn time on 1 charge.. more than enough for a night of diving..

I know, I know but unfortunately LM is hard to get where I live. So we agreed, with the shop owner that he'll bring 1 tillytec 4500 and 1 tillytec 3000 for me to choose from.
I'll put a review (in a few weeks) after a few interesting dives.

So I finally choose the tillytec 4500 with a tt3 battery.

I've done with it 2 dives so far, one on a wreck at 40m, and I must say i'm impressed. The beam color is white.
And one at 135m on a reef. I think it's the most powerfull led i've seen.

In both dive the water was cristal clear so i can say how it'll perfom in green low vis water.

You can fix it verticaly on the BP with the cable facing up because you can turn in on directly from the lampe.

I'm really happy with it, the quality is excelent, it's a very beautifull torch.

Back
Top Bottom