Light Monkey/Salvo ads????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pullmyfinger

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have read through the older threads about Salvo.

I am curious about ads I see on this forum and others, listing newer lights with Lipo batteries as Salvo lights. Or the listings will be for a Light Monkey/Salvo.
Didn't Salvo go out of business before Lipo batteries were used in can lights?

I must have misunderstood.....I thought that Light Monkey had no relationship with the old salvo company.

I just wanted to see if anyone could clarify. I want to know what I'm looking at when I'm browsing for used can lights.

Thanks,
Mitch

Barry Miller owned Salvo and Joel and Corey worked for him. Salvo went out of business and Joel and Corey bought the inventory and opened up as Light Monkey. There's a lot more that happened in between, but I won't get into that here. A simple internet search will provide many links. I'm not sure about Lipo batteries in Salvo lights. I have a few Salvo lights that have Li-Ion batteries and have held up great. If I ever need another light it'll be a Light Monkey.

Last edited:
Thanks,

I've read through most of that stuff. I was trying to get an idea on why the listing for "Light Monkey/Salvo".
I figured the name used in the ad for a particular light might give an indication on how old a used light might be, something along those lines.

Such as: "Salvo"= pre-2008 or something like that.
"Salvo/Light Monkey"= 2008-2010.
"Light Monkey"= current manufacture

Maybe people just list both names in their advertisements out of habit.....still associating the brands.

I just wanted an idea, since I've noticed a lot of used lights listed as both names combined.

Thanks,
Mitch

Well, I've got two 21W HID lights that were made by Salvo as NiMH lights, but were rebuilt by LM as LiIon lights. I'm not sure WHAT I would call them, if I put them up for sale . . .

My Salvo came as LI. My partners was a Nimh, but I bought a LI battery for it as they are interchangeable, just not the battery chargers.

Light Monkey is well known for their excellent customer service.

Back
Top Bottom