Lightest Regulator Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Obaby

Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a nice balanced regulator that's lightweight?

Presently have the Oceanic Delta 3 (yes it is old) and had no problems at all with it, but its pretty heavy and I'm trying to cut down on weight as its getting to be more and more of a pain with my weight allowance on the plane.

Thanks.

Scubapro makes the MK25T which is titanium. I can't imagine it would get much lighter than that. I have five of the not titanium MK25/G250HP regs and they are great. I think the titanium are only double the price.

Also, the Atomic T2 is a great titanium reg at only around $1500.

Hey,

If you like the Oceanics, as I do, get an Oceanic Delta 3 TDX5 Titanium regulator.
I think they have been discontinued by Oceanic, but ScubaToys has them on sale for $400! That's a great deal for a Titianium reg! I think they were over $700 originally. I have one and love it! It saves a lot of weight over a brass reg, will never corrode, and breathes great.

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Delta3

Some will say you can't use Titanium regs with Nitrox, but this one (and others) is good for up to 40% O2. Fine for recreational Nitrox use, you just wouldn't want to use it with a stage bottle for technical diving at higher O2 mixes.

H2Obaby:

Presently have the Oceanic Delta 3 (yes it is old) and had no problems at all with it, but its pretty heavy and I'm trying to cut down on weight as its getting to be more and more of a pain with my weight allowance on the plane.

Thanks.

I think the difference in weight between an Atomic B2 and the Titanium T2 is 8 ounces. I can picture 8 ounces being a weight buster for airline baggage weight.

I pack my life support gear in carry-on luggage.

Also, the thing to consider about Titanium first stages is that some manufacturer's stipulate that you must decide at time of purchase to dedicate the regulator to either Nitrox or regular air. Atomic has this stipulation on their T2 regulator.

This made my decision an easy one. Buy the B2 for about have the price of the T2 and be able to use it for both Nitrox or air or spend twice the money for the T2, save 8 ounces and have to limit the regulator one gas type.

Needless to say I bought the Atomic B2 which has the same Titanium second stage as the T2.

H2Obaby:

Thanks.

That sounds like a really good excuse for buying a new regulator. But, in reality, even the lightest regulator will save you less than a pound, and in some cases MUCH less than a pound.

I don't have a non-titanium Delta 3 to compare the weight of, but when I switched from a ScubaPro brass reg to the Oceanic Titanium reg, I saved a solid 2 lbs.

And that is before I got a mini SPG and a lighter octo.

For me at least, 2 lbs. is significant.

Thomjinx - thanks for the link. What SPG & octopus have you got?
Good info everyone thanks, am looking up the diff sets now to compare. $400 for the Delta 3 TDX5 that's going to be hard to beat.

Back
Top Bottom