Lightning strikes and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Subcooled

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Let us assume that I am diving in sweet water and a lightning strikes the water a little farther away, say 100 feet away.
How would that affect me?
- I was diving during a thunderstorm last week. That's why I want to know.

Electricity will (probably) disperse in the water and not channel towards me by chance.
But what about the pressure wave?

Probably not good if you're bobbing on the surface.
True that, but what if I'm submerged?
Would I pass out and drown?
Pressure waves in water are nasty.

I've heard anecdotally that 15-20ft under is safe. I'm sure theres been plenty of tech divers on deco that got caught in a popup storm

I remember diving in the Bahamas and there were lightening flashes in the water. Neat to see, don't remember anything being that close, nobody was worried. Been told that the salt water conducts so good, and there is so much of it, not really anything to worry about.

As for a tech diver in the springs, I remember one story where they came up and decided to take an extra 20 minutes of deco and wait for the storm to pass before surfacing.

Did a night dive last October in a thunderstorm, pretty cool.
9BF31EE3-B215-493C-B74A-FEAF718FBEFA.jpeg
F7506017-8C3B-4586-9669-90B2674463BA.jpeg

This would have been a perfect topic for the Mythbusters.

There is a risk of overpressure injuries from being in close proximity to a lightning strike, see

However, I suspect the underwater risk is minimal. The pressure wave is caused by the displacement of air immediately surrounding the bolt itself and the bolt dissipates very rapidly once it hits ground. In this case, ground is the surface of the body of water.

Even if a cohesive bolt could penetrate deeply into the water, the overpressure declines according to the inverse square law.

I wouldn't want to be directly under a strike at my safety stop, but 30m under should be OK. Don't go testing it on my word though. :eek:

Saltwater acts like a Farraday cage. Electricity generally spreads along the surface as the path of least resistance

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom