Lightroom or Photoshop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I had to pick one, it would be LR for sure. I do use PS (elements) as well, but rarely. If every photo I take needs both, I am doing something wrong!

To give an opinion, I use both Photoshop (CS6 and CC) and Lightroom (5.3 and CC) to edit everything from professional fashion shoots where retouching is required on a pixel by pixel level, to fine art landscapes to all my underwater and everyday shooting including personal projects, and if I were to suggest a program for anyone just starting out and needing quality editing software I would hands down recommend Adobe Lightroom.

The application will organize your entire photo collection and with it, you'll be able to complete all but your most difficult editing challenges. It is economically priced as a stand alone program but Adobe also gives you the option to combine it with Photoshop in the Creative Cloud for a low monthly cost. Either way, if you have strobe light and practice good underwater photography skills, Lightroom will handle most of your editing needs. It is very well worth the purchase. Plus it is currently on sale until January 11th here.

Hope this helps.

The latest versions of Lightroom do need some computer firepower to run properly but it's a great program to use and fairly intuitive straight off the bat.

I reckon Photoshop eventually would do all that LR does, but it would take (me) longer to do it. LR is pretty quick for basic (and not so basic) edits.

If I had only one though, I'd go for Photoshop as LR can't fix backscatter (simply) like Photoshop and that is a embarrassingly common problem with my U/W photos.

Removing a fish? THE HERESY!! :p

Just for you ...:wink: Very inconsiderate, some of these fish ... doing this, freediving, ain't easy to begin with, and then you have to deal with ...

"Wanna bet, I can hang longer than you can??"

AUA, Aug,Sept 2011- 2 132-4.jpgAUA, Aug,Sept 2011- 2 132_edited-3.jpg

and of course, the 'pop-in' ...

225-2.jpg225-1_edited-5.jpg

"Zap!!"

MY EYES, I NEED TO ETCH THEM WITH ACID! :p

MY EYES, I NEED TO ETCH THEM WITH ACID! :p

Just recently, I took a 'selfie' and 'surgically' removed my moustache to see what I'd look like ... worked out perfectly!! Wife liked it, off with the damn thing ... Think, I'll do a face lift and ear tuck, next ... If she digs the results, maybe she'll pay for it:wink:

I've used Lightroom a couple of times, and while it is easy to use it didn't have the tools Photoshop does. I don't archive any photos on my computer, so LR would be a waste of money for me. YMMV.

I've used Lightroom a couple of times, and while it is easy to use it didn't have the tools Photoshop does. I don't archive any photos on my computer, so LR would be a waste of money for me. YMMV.
Actually, no. You can use it to archive on a removable drive or a NAS as well :wink:

I don't archive any of my photos. Once I finish resizing and getting rid of any backscatter I upload them to Photobucket. I've never taken a photo that I would actually print or need to keep.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom