lights for spear guns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Look at military spec lights and lazers for weapons. They have to be tough and remain water tight, especially if used by SEALs

Chad Carney:
I don't recommend a lazer however.
You want to be able to see your target, thats all.
Aiming a speargun is a skill aquired with hand/eye coordination, not a lazer. Spears will drop a certain amount, and the shooter will only be able to determine this if he has shot his gun hundreds of times.

Agree, Also the defraction of light underwater with a red beam won't get you any distance like you normally see above water.

The Seabear laser will give you a line of red, or a red dot way out farther than you can see underwater. If the vis is limited by junk in the water, you will see a straight line ... a lot like a laser pointer in a smoky room.

However, you are right about the dot indicating a straight line and the spear dropping a bit over distance. Depending on your gun and the distance from your prey, you will have to aim an inch or tow higher than where you want to hit. Again, that will come with experience.

The biggest drawback to the laser is the expense. When they were introduced by Seabear, they carried a price tag of over $400! Today, the old Russian guy that made them for Seabear still sells them and they are less than half that, but still over $150! That said, I have had a LOT of success with them for hunters that HAVE to have the coolest toys on the boat.

And I agree about the IST laser. They were junk as were the Trident (same Chinese manufacturer).

Just my $.02

Ray

rcontrera:
The Seabear laser will give you a line of red, or a red dot way out farther than you can see underwater. If the vis is limited by junk in the water, you will see a straight line ... a lot like a laser pointer in a smoky room.

However, you are right about the dot indicating a straight line and the spear dropping a bit over distance. Depending on your gun and the distance from your prey, you will have to aim an inch or tow higher than where you want to hit. Again, that will come with experience.

The biggest drawback to the laser is the expense. When they were introduced by Seabear, they carried a price tag of over $400! Today, the old Russian guy that made them for Seabear still sells them and they are less than half that, but still over $150! That said, I have had a LOT of success with them for hunters that HAVE to have the coolest toys on the boat.

And I agree about the IST laser. They were junk as were the Trident (same Chinese manufacturer).

Just my $.02

Ray

Are these any good?

ronnie22:
Are these any good?

Those are actually very nice little hand held lasers. I probably sold 200 of them when they were first closed out. They used to sell for $79 when there was a manufacturer to honor the warrantee, but I sold them for $25 and only gave them my own. Luckily, I only had one fail. I now only have their $100 aluminum model left which goes for $40.

The hand held lasers are not good for attaching to a speargun, though, as they rarely aim directly centered. These use inexpensive diodes (like the little pocket pointers) that may sit in the housing at a slight angle. It really doesn't make a difference when you are holding it in your hand, but if you fix it to a gun, you have to do a LOT of fooling around with the mount to get true accuracy.

lasersb.gif
The speargun lasers are machined out of aluminum and then use a precision diode that gives a straight line parallel with the body of laser and whatever it is mounted to if you use their mount.

Just my $.02

Ray
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
http://www.rayzplace.com

Back
Top Bottom