Lights or no lights? Manta ray dive...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm scheduled to do this dive this weekend and can't wait to make my own footage! Do you recommend using a red filter or just natural w/o filter? (I'm pretty new to underwater video - I have a simple GoPro Hero3 and monopod, no lights - but do have a red filter).

A filter is usually better than no filter, depending on which filter it is. Made in China generic or PolarPro? Better without a filter in those cases.

Since the ambient light is coming from near the camera and not the sun I didn't think a filter would be needed. My footage earlier in the thread was shot without my Backscatter filter. If it was a daylight dive I would definitely use a filter.

A filter is usually better than no filter, depending on which filter it is. Made in China generic or PolarPro? Better without a filter in those cases.

PolarPro filter. Haven't used it yet though - do they suck? I hope not - flight out is on Thurs...

edit: did some searching of past threads - seems most people think they do. i saw you like the eelvision filters - i put an amazon prime order for the blue/snorkel filters in that should be here wed. are they easy to store when not in use? any other tips?

---------- Post added September 21st, 2015 at 10:06 PM ----------

Since the ambient light is coming from near the camera and not the sun I didn't think a filter would be needed. My footage earlier in the thread was shot without my Backscatter filter. If it was a daylight dive I would definitely use a filter.

Cool - that's what I was thinking academically - but wasn't sure. This doesn't seem like the dive to do real time experiments on - I wanna do as much homework as I can and enjoy the rays!

Last edited:
Polarpro is decent for the price esp the red combined w a macro lense. Seems to sharpen imagine by introducing depth. Definitely than the ebay imitations. I found the snakeriver prototyping cy glass filter to be the best amongst known options after seeing polarpro, backscatter, & snakeriver filters on gopro 4. But even the CY benefits from the idea of adding the smaller or lesser macro lens from backscatter.

Another problem was the light sensitive nature of the gopro. I think i will need to bright a white object like slate for gopro to adjust whitebalance esp when not enough sunlight or below 15M.

When using a good wide video light, do not use a red filter. 2 light is better than 1.

Also be careful of messing w the hinges of the polarpro so u don't break it or Crack the lense. Also check if bubble gets trap inside the layers assuming you have the "sandwich" filter version.

Holding camera steady wad another challenge esp when it's on a pole. Whenever possible use two hands. Video until you get bored of the subject. Some clips just may not come out. So shoot lots!

Have fun!!!!!

Nick, they come on a little cardboard folder thingy. Not very protective if you're going to toss it on your bag. When I travel, I keep mine inside the cardboard thing inside a little plastic box with other stuff (anti fog inserts, extra o-rings, battery for the gopro and for my light, etc.). I've been using the same for over 2 years now.

As said, hold the camera/tray/pole with both hands to be stable!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom