Lights with GoPro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ahmad- How much did you spend for your lights? What model are they? Chinese manufacturers exaggerate their output, often by 10 times or more. The true output will determine the answer to your question.

Ahmad- How much did you spend for your lights? What model are they? Chinese manufacturers exaggerate their output, often by 10 times or more. The true output will determine the answer to your question.

The light is 120dollar each , i buy 2 and shipping cost 16dollar , total 256dollar .. its brand Nemo , these company base in USA and Hong Kong , they make tools for underwater like drills and grinder , i do google for information about their product and believe they still new in the market for dive light , u can see here

Nemo Commercial Diving Floodlight | Nemo Power Tools

running four 18650s, it's got the power to make a lot of light

I'm guessing they are 18650s

Last edited:
Two companies that the OP might want to consider are iTorch and Deep Blue. Both companies make affordable video lights that will likely meet the OP's needs.

The light is 120dollar each , i buy 2 and shipping cost 16dollar , total 256dollar .. its brand Nemo , these company base in USA and Hong Kong , they make tools for underwater like drills and grinder , i do google for information about their product and believe they still new in the market for dive light , u can see here

Nemo Commercial Diving Floodlight | Nemo Power Tools
The link you quoted does not make it possible to determine the true output of the light. It would appear to have substantial output however as it is claiming only one hour of output on it's highest intensity. With 4 18650 cells; probably they are supplying 2600 mAH cells which would give you around one amp of power to each LED. Depending on which bin they are pulling from the light should either be really bright or god awful bright. You should not need the filter if you are close to the subject. The wide-angle lens will not allow even this much light to penetrate very far in the water and you would then need the wins the subject is further away. Let us know how you like the lights as this seems like a good deal on a powerful light if they work well and have an even beam spread.

The link you quoted does not make it possible to determine the true output of the light. It would appear to have substantial output however as it is claiming only one hour of output on it's highest intensity. With 4 18650 cells; probably they are supplying 2600 mAH cells which would give you around one amp of power to each LED. Depending on which bin they are pulling from the light should either be really bright or god awful bright. You should not need the filter if you are close to the subject. The wide-angle lens will not allow even this much light to penetrate very far in the water and you would then need the wins the subject is further away. Let us know how you like the lights as this seems like a good deal on a powerful light if they work well and have an even beam spread.

i have receive the light , after fully charge and do some testing ..

what u guys think about the light ? because this is my first light , i dont know if it is good or not ..

These types of lights touted for GoPro's keep getting brighter and less expensive. Since the original post was on a light with 300 lumens I thought I'd keep this light on the same string.

Estimated at 1800 lumens with a wide angle profile (16:9), would this particular light be appropriate for a GoPro newbie who doesn't want to spend a significant amount of cash who dives 10 times a year? Or for diving between 30-90' would a GoPro red filter do just as good of a job?

https://www.amazon.com/Mcoplus-LED-...&sr=1-20&keywords=underwater+lights+for+gopro

Hard to say without knowing the details on that light. It might be a legit 1800 lumens, or it might be 1800 "Chinese lumens" that only translates to 500 lumens in the real world. LOL

I can't see what the actual LED emitters are that are used. If you can find that out, you can Google that emitter to see what the max lumens are. There are 60 of them, so maybe the 1800 lumens is legit.

One thing to probably count on is that however bright it is with fully charged batteries, it's going to drop off steadily as the batteries go down. So, even if it's 1800 lumens with fresh batteries, it will probably only be less than 1000 after 1 hour (assuming the battery run time spec of 120 minutes on High is correct).

I would also want to know the actual spec for "super wide angle" is. A GoPro field of view is around 100 degrees, depending on what mode you're using. I'd want something compatible.

If it's really a legit 1800 lumens and the angle is around 100 degrees or wider, a couple of them might work okay for a GoPro.

Thanks Stuart. So one if at 1800 lumen would probably not be enough to make a difference in the 30-90' depth and two might be cumbersome at that size?

The unit is powered by 2 2000mAh 18650 batteries. I'll see if the seller knows what LED emitters are used.

Last edited:
I use the Backscatter Flip 4 filters and I'm perfectly happy with my footage with no light. I have tried using my SeaLife video light on close subjects, but honestly...the images are better WITHOUT the light and WITH the filter. I've shot video at 100' with the deep filter, and the colors actually popped. If I were you, I'd start with the filters and be sure to change filters at deeper depths. I think you'll be happy with the results.

Most importantly, try to be conscious of the stability of the camera. Shaky video is never fun to watch. Also the angle of your shot will make all the difference. Don't shoot down at a subject...the background will not be favorable. Always try to shoot level or at an upward angle. You'll get much better results!

Back
Top Bottom