Lightweight second stages?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

terramar

Registered
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a diver with TMJ who tends to get some pain in the jaw. We’ve tried a variety of mouthpieces on a Scubapro g260, but the problem persists.

Can anyone suggest a different second stage that’s a bit more lightweight and/or smaller, with good performance and a reasonable network for service?

thanks-

If you are looking at staying with ScubaPro:

C370 - 171 grams
S600 - 193 grams

To compare:

G260 - 275 grams

There is also the S620 TI - 179 grams

Aqualung Mikron? 154 gr second stage...

Also, a braided hose might help? Rubber is a bit heavier, pulls it down a bit more with the weight (relative to a braided hose, anyway).

I have a diver with TMJ who tends to get some pain in the jaw. We’ve tried a variety of mouthpieces on a Scubapro g260, but the problem persists.

Can anyone suggest a different second stage that’s a bit more lightweight and/or smaller, with good performance and a reasonable network for service?

thanks-
as one who suffers from TMJ, it's not the weight of the second stage, it's the torque in the mouth that causes the problem. I have found the best solution to be a combination of Apeks Comfobite mouthpieces with a 7ft long hose with an omniswivel ball swivel. This puts the weight of the hose on the back of your neck and the ball swivel allows you to adjust it so it stays in the most natural position in your mouth.

Would this be better with a full-face mask?

I second what t-bone said. Miflex and a 90° swivel may also be an option. Larger case designs (e.g G250) may displace more water with air volume and feel lighter in your mouth.

Larger case designs (e.g G250) may displace more water with air volume and feel lighter in your mouth.
+1. I was going to suggest that the dry weight of the reg may not always translate into feeling lighter in the water. And indeed, the hose routing using a long hose and swivel will reduce the torque.

I dive the C370 which I purchased for low weight for travel resons - but since I use that, the few times I do use any other, it feels super heavy now. Can really recommend. Though I have no clue on TMJ, I would try it out (rental?)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom