Limited Dive Buddy Options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buckyblue920

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all,

I recently obtained the ability for SCUBA classes / gear with the completion of my BA and financial stability. My wife has been nothing but supportive of my decision to go OW cert this June. This is a sport I wish I would have partaked in during my duty time in Kaneohe Bay and Oki. Living in Wisconsin, I hope to one day dive into the Great Lakes and see history resting on the bottom of Lake Michigan and Lake Superior. The biggest hurdle (other than obvisouly not certified yet) is diving seems to have limited participation here. LDS tell me its no problem in finding dive buddies on trips, but some people tell me it's a waste of time and money if you can't find a partner of equal ability and outfitting. Can anyone tell me their experience in finding dive buddies, or getting into a sport as a novice among a massive talent pool of experienced divers. I have one or two co-workers who dive on vacations, but I only have basic snorkel gear at this point.

Thanks for any advice.

Dan

My experience was tough for the first month. But just be social and get numbers from divers you meet all around (make a buddy list). Stop by your LDS and ask if they have club dives (if so, join these dives and get numbers). Or you can even spend a few hours at your LDS waiting and talking to people who come in (or even talking to the employees). Maybe your area has a local dive club; Google it.

After the first month, I had so many potential buddies, because people that I had contacted started to build up. Don't worry if they're at a higher, more experienced level than you. They generally don't care about your experience, as long as you are safe, know all the safety actions for emergencies, know signals, and are careful. As a new diver, I had to dive with way more experienced people than I, and they didn't seem to mind. Now when I dive with people less experienced than I am, I really don't mind, just as long as they're reasonably safe and as long as we plan/communicate the dive well beforehand.

I'd rather dive than not. By the end, you'll have one or two "go-to" buddies with whom you share similar schedules and dive goals, and then you can dive pretty frequently.

I don't know what it's like where you are, but here in Seattle we have an incredibly welcoming community of divers. New folks can quickly find buddies and mentors and build long-term friendships. We have several dive clubs, which organize diving events where new divers are encouraged to join in. And there are standing, weekly dives, which are open to anyone. We have a lot of very experienced and highly trained folks, but they were beginners once, too, and most of them remember that :)

I don't have many dive buddies yet, but I've been diving in Hawaii, Jamaica, and Key Largo, never had a problem. I always go with ops that put guides in the water, and usually I'm not the only one there without a buddy. Also the experienced divers don't have a problem with a new diver, the love to share their knowledge. You won't be a novice for long. :goingdown: and any questions you have about diving this is a great place to gain knowledge.

I live between 3 different countries and different areas within those countries sometimes with some years between moving and invariably need to find new buddies. I have never had any issues I just rock up to a local LDS and attach myself it's never too long before I find some like minded divers. I have no problem diving with those less experienced than me in fact I like being able to help out where I can and sharing what knowledge I haven. I like diving with those more experienced than me as it gives me the opportunity to learn something new. Bottom line finding buddies has never been a problem in my experience. Good luck.

Thank you all for the responses! I will be sure to look into local dive clubs, and take up your advice posted here. I know we all start as newbies in the sport, and I'm glad to hear people are willing to share their experiences to make me a safer and smarter diver.

Thanks again!

I'm with TSandM here. I dove for years having to pair up, and I found other divers truly friendly and welcoming. I always found a buddy, in part because I stayed active and current with skills. Be a competent and active diver, and whether you are new or have hundreds of dives, you will always be able to find someone to dive with. Every diver I know, probably every diver who was ever certified, has paired up with a buddy for the first time. If we only had people get certified in "buddy teams" there would be a lot fewer divers. It was great when my wife started diving, though she is not always with me when I am diving. I still go when you she does not. So go for it. You even have your wife's blessing!
DivemasterDennis

If it's a 'Cadillac' dive, more challenging, hard to get to, once in a lifetime experience etc, you may find the experienced divers want equally experienced buddies, who won't wolf down air and be too needy of supervision.

But if it's the more typical "Chevy Malibu" dive, other divers will be much more willing to help out a new diver, since having to come up with a few hundred pounds of 'extra' air isn't a big deal compared to the reward of helping a new diver into the sport. That's been my experience on both sides of the equation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom