Lionfish/DM's don't care!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I generally always agree with your insightful posts but not this one. Please do not let our current political direction drain your love of diving and sea life although I admit it's quite difficult. Non-native Lionfish are currently devastating the native juvenile fish populations of grouper, snapper, etc. on reefs all around New Providence Island and surrounding areas in the Bahamas. Personally, I would much rather dive on reefs that have an abundance and variety of sea life as has been the case for the past thousands if not millions of years. You may wish to wait thousands of years for nature to run it's course but I can assure you that the divers in SE Florida will not stand by and see our reefs ruined without putting up a gallant fight. Our forebears did a pretty good job of devasting the grouper populations, especially the goliaths, so I have no doubt that we can have a similar or greater impact in slowing the Lionfish's growth in these waters. Too stupid to leave them alone? Perhaps for quarry divers. We will be just fine...
Well said Valhalla! It's disappointing to see that some DM do not share this vision, when collectively they could have a large impact, given the amount of diving they do. Having said that, kudos to the ones that are concerned and are doing something about it!

Finally, the video of Mary's night dive in front of Blue Angel Resort with the lionfish, squid, and other things.

well it is about time! I appreciate it even more since I am currently sitting in the lobby of Blue Angel watching this video! Gracias!

Finally, the video of Mary's night dive in front of Blue Angel Resort with the lionfish, squid, and other things.

Very cute!
Packing for home, so the vid generated many sighs.
I would have liked to see that pezleon leave the water, though... Kept hoping for that moment.
Saw several meet their maker this week and become fishfood. Glad I could point some out for execution!
And once again, big hugs for the divemasters who DO care and have been protecting the reefs of Cozumel.

Very cute!
Packing for home, so the vid generated many sighs.
I would have liked to see that pezleon leave the water, though... Kept hoping for that moment.
Saw several meet their maker this week and become fishfood. Glad I could point some out for execution!
And once again, big hugs for the divemasters who DO care and have been protecting the reefs of Cozumel.

That's good to hear. The lionfish in this video did not leave the water, at least as long as we were there, hence the title of this thread. Have a safe trip wherever you are headed.

Was headed home from Cozumel. Your safe trip wishes worked beautifully!
Thanks...
Not quite 3 weeks to the next trip! Live aboard Turks and Caicos. Plenty of lionfish there....

>> Even if that is so, those "disjointed quantum leaps" happen over a very long time as compared to a normal human lifespan. <<

Actually, they've just found that natural selection can happen very quickly. People in PNG who were plagued by Kuru (mad cow, cructhfield-jacobs etc) due to eating the brains of their dead relatives, have now been found to have produced a genetic mutations that protects them ....

Here's a quote from one of the articles:

"The fact that this genetic evolution has happened in a matter of decades is remarkable."

Nature finds a way......

I am not a PC type person. I say what I really feel or believe and know I'll get slammed for this:

I agree 100% that the Lionfish now in the Caribbean cannot be eradicated. Nature goes on...the area is way too vast to police. You could kill every Lionfish in the Park and the same number would be there next week. I think we can gripe and cry about it, but in the end nature will win. If it makes you feel good to damn the fish and those who disagree that trying to control them is futile.....continue.

As far a "natural"....I read an incredible book called "The Song of the Dodo" which is a science/text book on why things in nature go extinct and why other creatures adapt. The guy makes one statement about nature that at first I really disagreed with, but now I completely see the guys point......anything that is produced on our planet is "natural"....plastic, vinyl, anything...any so-called synthetic is still made with Earth materials and is therefore a natural by-product. Now I am not trying to convince anyone of that part, but it is fascinating stuff. You just have to look at nature and remove your emotions from it. Most humans, to me, have a slightly odd view of our planets life forms anyway...."save the dolphins"...."kill the lionfish"...."eat the cow". Odd how we pick and choose what is sacred and what is not.

When I first dove here in the late 70's there were "real" sharks all the time at San Juan, Barracuda, Maracaibo, Punta Sur and the Columbia Deep. There was none of the green stuff that now covers many of the deep reefs. The reefs were so alive that they seemed to move. There were schools of dozens upon dozens of Eagle Rays in the winter. There were literally thousands of barracuda's, especially at Cedral, Yucab and Tormentos. Where did all these animals go? What would have caused them to leave? Maybe we can blame another creature that was introduced by the tens of thousands in the mid-80's and beyond and whose numbers have done nothing but increased......I think it was called a scuba diver.

I am not a PC type person. ...

Good to see there are other non PC people around. I agree.. I think there are far too many people who just happen to be scuba divers who think they know what is right for this planet.

I personally tell all the DMs on the boats we take in Cozumel that they cant go killing at lionfish when we are with them. Its my favorite fish. Just looks so much better than the other fish. Throw in that its good at what it does and its just more admirable.

One thing we noticed recently while diving in Florida compared to diving in Cozumel:
When diving in Coz, you see some spiny lobsters get on the boat and discuss it.. When diving in Florida, you see some spiny lobsters, get on the boat and then get to hear everyone ask you why you didnt grab it! (the very next dive there were people with at least 9 of them)

So very different on how they look at things and how they act (the divers)..

My family and I love Cozumel for its diving and just wish people would stop being so uptight.

Just to mess with all the anal divers, we wear shirts that show DDT (Dangerous Dive Team) and a logo and it has the words Dive Dangerously - Leave Nothing Untouched!

So much fun to see peoples reactions and how mad they would get just by reading it.

Next June - July, we will be back there and will have the updated 2010 shirts made up!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom