Lionfish Hunting/Program Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I read an article a while back about the critters and it is amazing how many eggs they can spawn in a very short time. When you read the numbers it makes you wonder if spearing and eating a few makes any difference in the grander scheme of overall reef health and the population of other reef fish. Think about how many reef fish a lionfish has devoured by the time they get to spearable size. But I guess every one on a dinner plate is one less on the reef...!

I read an article a while back about the critters and it is amazing how many eggs they can spawn in a very short time. When you read the numbers it makes you wonder if spearing and eating a few makes any difference in the grander scheme of overall reef health and the population of other reef fish. Think about how many reef fish a lionfish has devoured by the time they get to spearable size. But I guess every one on a dinner plate is one less on the reef...!
They are prolific spawners, but once settled on the reef they tend to stay put. Here in Florida, where it's no license, no limits, shoot on sight you can tell which spots get a lot of dive traffic by the lack of lionfish. The few that are around are skittish as hell, which probably reduces their feeding opportunities.

I'll look for the reference when I get home, but I think I've read that reducing the lionfish population by about half on a reef is enough to markedly improve recruitment and survival for juvenile fish at that reef.

On Roatan and Utila, the lionfish are kept in check on the common dive sites. The unvisited areas in, around, and beneath these common dive sites hold a fair amount of lionfish. Even less visited locations, like in the East end of the island hold many times more per given area.

Even if every diver in the world hunted lionfish, we could never make a dent in the overall invasive lionfish population in the invaded areas of the Gulf of Mexico, Atlantic and Caribbean (GAC).

Given the fact that the vast majority of all divers only hunt in depths between 20-130 ft and lionfish live, thrive, and breed in depths from maybe a foot down to at least 1,000 ft, it's pretty easy to see how humans implementing divers with spears is pretty useless on a large scale. They work great on a local scale. A single hunter can maintain a length of reef several hundred yards long if hunted on a regular basis, say once or twice a week and it only takes a moderate reduction in lionfish numbers to allow the reef to rebound significantly over less than a year.

The best answer to the large scale problem is to develop lionfish specific traps and commercialize the meat, which is what we're starting to do here in Honduras with Roatan Lionfish Company. Traps are the single best way to decimate a species of fish, bar none. It's why they outlaw them for use with most commercial fish.

Roatan Lionfish Company has exclusive permission from DIGEPESCA in Honduras to develop a lionfish specific trap and commercialize lionfish from all Honduran waters.

If you have a commercial trapping boat and want to come trap lionfish with us in Honduras, drop me a line on the Roatan Lionfish Company's Facebook page. We're always looking for contractors.

We dived Roatan, Belize and Coz last week and saw lion fish only in Belize. The dive master carried a trident spear, a wire garrot and a pair of shears. By the end of the day, he had a meal's worth of lion fish. The shears cut the nasty fins and the fish died on the wire garrot.

He said that on Belize they have a lion fish day when all the commercial divers and dive masters compete to kill as many as possible. Necessary, but necessary. I hear they make great ceviche.

Current anecdotal reports are that very few juveniles are being found, progressively diminishing in the last several months. The thought is that something is now eating the eggs or maybe the little ones, as the adults seem to still show up- but also diminishing due to culling efforts.

The thought is that something is now eating the eggs or maybe the little ones, ...

I really hope this is true. That would be great - exactly what is needed.

Back
Top Bottom