Lionfish in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A common fallacy in argument is for a person to go to a dictionary and choose a definition based on how well it supports their conclusion and not the definition that is applicable to the topic.
But it seems to be a popular thing to do on SB.

Defining everything that man makes or causes as natural, simply because man is a part of nature, excludes the definition of nature that applies to the topic. The one specifically characterized by "independent of people, their influence, or actions". Or put another way, the definition; Natural = man had nothing to do with it.
But given that man is part of the environment, affects it on a large scale and so forth, how is it possible to say that much of of anything that goes on in the "natural world" isn't in somewhat affected by man? Isn't that what all the cryin' about "global warming" is all about?

NudeDiver-

Chill dude! Not that you would care how the reefs look after all the little fishies are gobbled up by the mean old lionfish, since you don't even dive. Or did you forget the topic here, ie - how to save the reefs from those nasty lionfish?

Some posters just want to start an argument and create controversy just for the heck of it. Honesty, I have had enough argument for arguments sake in my professional life that having it in my personal life it is silly. I do not think that anyone will argue that lionfish are bad for the reefs of not only Cozumel but for the entire Caribbean. Global warming and the existance of lionfish in the Caribbean (this is a very short non inclusive list of problems with the enviroment) are not natural occurances in my book. Nautual occurances might include things like a volcano erupting or a hurricane. Humans although considered by some to be "natural" have the ability to make thoughless selfish mistakes unlike the fish, the air, the earth or whatever else is out there.

NudeDiver-

Chill dude!

Amen.

I have a brother who likes to argue that black is white. Entertaining to a point but no one takes him seriously. That's where this thread is heading. Our big concern is lionfish BAD. Estoeric discussions about the involvement of man are interesting but irrelevant. Let's get (keep) to the bottom line or drop it.

So, lets get back on point. Lionfish are now in Coz having made a giant leap from the Caribbean to Central America. How is that going to change Cozumel? I'll bet a lot of visitors really enjoy the fresh seafood down there. What happens when the only thing left to order is The Lionfish Special because that's the only thing out there for the locals to catch. What's it going to do to the dive industry? Divers go there for the variety of sea life and that is surely going to change when the lionfish establish themselves. What do you think it's going to be like if you could look ahead ten years and see what Coz is going to be then. Another Ensenada with Papas and Beer?

Nudediver also brags about how he removes coral to have in his aquarium. Nice.

That's because he's just trolling the thread. I'm surprised more people didn't pick up on it right way. Trying wax poet about man being part of nature to be a nuisance in a serious thread about a pest problem is practically jumping up and down waving both hands looking for attention.

Nudediver- How about that?....Your viewpoint is something......

Now, for everyone else, and more importantly, to the topic at hand, has there been any developments from the Marine Park Folks regarding the Lionfish situation?

Last edited:
NudeDiver-Chill dude! Not that you would care how the reefs look after all the little fishies are gobbled up by the mean old lionfish, since you don't even dive.
Um - OK.

Huh? I don't have an aquarium.

That's because he's just trolling the thread.
Guess again. I've never bragged about removal coral to put in my aquarium, or for any other purpose. The previous poster has misinformed you.

Our big concern is lionfish BAD.
OK - I'll play along. Lionfish BAD. Let's all agree that lionfish BAD, it will kill all the other fish, and destroy all reefs on Earth. So now what?

I went back and looked at post #1:

We've been waiting for this -- the first lionfish sighting in Coz was reported this week. An alert DM captured the 3" fish at Palancar Gardens. At present, the Marine Park has not given permission for divers to take the fish and is working on guidelines for their safe removal (safe for the divers, that is.) In the meantime, all of the island's dive ops will be asked to report sightings to the Park.

Since you are our eyes in Coz, please be on the lookout for these fish and, if you spot one, please show it to your DM. Unofficially, no one will get mad if you can safely capture it and deliver the body to the Park office. Also, sightings should be reported to REEF, either via the website Reef Environmental Education Foundation (REEF) | Diving That Counts or by calling the local field station, leave a message for Sheryl Shea at Aqua Safari, 872-0101.
So....based on that, there really isn't any room for discussion. It's just an announcement.

or......it begs the question, WHY? Why report these lionfish? Why kill them off? What's so wrong with them being there? Now there's a discussion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom