lionfish in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The thing that I do not see here is anything about lionfish getting killed. Just lots of studying.

You know, when I first read the posting describing the "Eleuthera opportunity", I experienced a spark of hope that something positive was brewing, especially when I read the part about "lionfish removals". After all, doing something seems better than doing nothing at all. But, "lionfish removal" does not mean eradication ...

I think you are right. Perhaps what is needed is some studies of what keeps these predators in check in their natural environment. :idk:

The problem is, studying these fish does nothing to correct the problem (if magically REEF comes up with a proven solution in the future I promise to eat these words). Studying the lionfish in Bahamas has not stopped the spread. Perhaps the goal is to allow this predator to take over the reefs and only then try to stop it.

The bottom line is, we will all suffer the consequences of "failure to act" on our Caribbean dive vacations in the future.

What exactly would you do about it really? Seems killing a bunch might slow it a bit, but really what can that do in the big picture? Seriously, do you think they could become popular enough to fish into extinction? If you don't have an answer, I guess you study....

It's pretty easy for me to understand Scubasteve. I read him as let us/dms be the predators until another viable solution comes into the picture. That way there will still be a lot of pretty little fishes around, you know the ones that seem to need big brothers right now.

As far as I see it there is a way to help curb the affect of the lion fish appetite. Kill them.

annimatedhammerandnail.gif

It's pretty easy for me to understand Scubasteve. I read him as let us/dms be the predators until another viable solution comes into the picture. That way there will still be a lot of pretty little fishes around, you know the ones that seem to need big brothers right now.

As far as I see it there is a way to help curb the affect of the lion fish appetite. Kill them.

What exactly would you do about it really? Seems killing a bunch might slow it a bit, but really what can that do in the big picture? Seriously, do you think they could become popular enough to fish into extinction? If you don't have an answer, I guess you study....

Why not have divers aid in correcting the problem while REEF does their fish hugger thing? I am not saying push them totally aside......I am just saying that they will NOT solve the problem their way. They do not want to solve the problem because they do not really believe there is a problem IMO. They just want to study stuff.

I say allow people to act while they go about studying.

what impact can it do but killing a bunch? (in the big picture)?

the real question, is what impact will it do if we don't kill them?

the Lionfish in the Atlantic / Caribbean have no real predators after them. They multiply like "bunnies" and they are predators on reef fish. They are a non native species that will destroy current fish populations.

If we don't eradicate them, they will take over the reef and spread to other reefs, and you won't have any reef fish to see on dives.

You know, when I first read the posting describing the "Eleuthera opportunity", I experienced a spark of hope that something positive was brewing, especially when I read the part about "lionfish removals". After all, doing something seems better than doing nothing at all. But, "lionfish removal" does not mean eradication ...

I think you are right. Perhaps what is needed is some studies of what keeps these predators in check in their natural environment. :dontknow:

No study required. Lionfish have many predators in their native enviroment through hundreds of thousands years of evolution. Our eels. etc. do not recognize them as prey nor likely have the ability to withstand their venom if they do in fact eat them...

Let's not forget where their native environment is.....it is not within thousands of miles from the Caribbean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom