Lionfish off Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep, yep... I did say corkscrews (sorry all) its the corks......I guess I'm still suffering after effects of the anesthesia from August...lol....

darn, there goes my image of corkscrews being used as tiny little sand anchors. :)

I'm struggling to comprehend how this all works and what the marker looks like...
Nevertheless I will be bringing corks in March.
Small question: are they only looking for the natural wine/champagne corks or are they also interested in the synthetic ones? I guess not, but if they are I can probably double my donation...

I'll do my part with the corks by drinking a bottle per night while I am there! It seems to me that local use would quickly satisfy the requirement.

I'm struggling to comprehend how this all works and what the marker looks like...
Nevertheless I will be bringing corks in March.

Here's a short video of the diving wife marking a lionfish with one of the corks. Actually found three lionfish during our trip.

Once the lionfish is marked, please contact STINAPA & give them the dive depth & the site where it was located together with explicit directions. You can e mail to the following address:
marinepark@stinapa.org

If you have a phone # where you can be reached, leave that also.

Well Don I saw that one in early March, he was collected in mid-April. Here's a shot.

427949.jpg

Saw this one at Small Wall last month in about 30 fsw. I didn't have a tag with me, and it was a bit of a drift dive so I couldn't catch up to the divemaster. He said after the dive that he would go back later and try to find it. I hope he did!

It was the first one I have ever seen, and I know they are a big-time problem, but they are an amazing looking fish to see in the wild.

CIMG0124.jpg

If the Caribbean islands where diving is a major contributor to the economy really want to protect their ecosystem, why don't they just put a bounty on lion fish? It would be much cheaper and faster than what is being done now. We saw a big one the east side near the white hole last week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom