Liquid in your tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amber once bubbled...
That's what I said. I'm a diver and he is not so I KNEW they got lighter but he always insisted that air doesn't weigh anything.
You can tell him that air does have weight and that it is approximately 14.7 pounds per square inch at sea level. That's why when we descend to 33 feet in salt water, we are down the equivalent of 2 atmospheres, the one of air and another with the equivalent pressure in water.

to go and try to make liquid air....that would be really cool...let me know how that turns out

'Cause only Buba kows thingslike that. Can he also tell you how wind chill makes ice even at 40 degrees?

A bathroom scale would demonstrate the truth if you don't mind wasting a tank.

Send you sister a sympathy card.

I don't really think this is the right place to ask, but it goes along with the topic. What are the possibilities of blending nitrox by putting liquid oxygen in the tank and then topping it off with air?

It wouldn't be feasible or accurate, but I just want to know if it would work out ok.

brandon

give me a couple days to look through my thermo book from school. i know that it has some phase charts for nitrogen (maybe air). my guess is that i'm not going to find charts for n2 as a liquid for temperatures above 200 kelvin (73 below 0 celsius). i'll come up with something. i promise. actually, now i'm curious to see how many cubit feet of air you would have to (or could) cram into an al80... :eek:ut:

voidware once bubbled...
I don't really think this is the right place to ask, but it goes along with the topic. What are the possibilities of blending nitrox by putting liquid oxygen in the tank and then topping it off with air?

It wouldn't be feasible or accurate, but I just want to know if it would work out ok.

brandon

I can think of a couple of concerns right off.

1. How does the cold temp of the liquid oxygen effect the structure of the container (ie tank)?

2. What would it do to the valve O-rings at that temp?

Interesting question, though...

There were some previous discussions on the potential of breathing a liquid compound instead of a gaseous mixture. Kind of sci-fi, but it really intrigued me.

Amber once bubbled...
My brother-in-law keeps insisting that our scuba tanks contain a liquid form of air. How true is this statement? I don't see how this is possible and it has been an on-going argument for a while now. He says that is the only way a scuba tank can get lighter after a dive. Does the tank get lighter or does it just feel that way?

Thank you,
Amber

I have had inlaws like that and have learned to ignore them over the years.

As you've heard, air does have weight. In fact the airlines have to account for the weight of air in their Weight and Balance calculations. Us little guys that don't fly very high and don't pressurize our planes don't bother because it's too little to matter. If your Brother In Law would think about it, he would realize that his statement was not logical since at sea level on the surface of the earth, the column of air that sits on his head weighs 14.7 pounds per square inch.

voidware once bubbled...

brandon

Theoretically yes, it could be done, but it would take a very small amount of liquid O2 b/c it is much more dense as a liqiud than it is as a gas at room temp. Also, I wouldn't want to be around while that tank was warming up the liquid O2...think of the catastorphic possibilities there. Also, I would like to see the aluminum cylinder that can withstand having liquid O2 introduced to it.

Don't liquid O2 containers have vents? As the gas warms the presure is kept low. Some high volume gas blenders buy liquid O2. Because of the low presure a booster is needed to pump it into scuba tanks at the required presure.

It wouldn't seem to make sense to hvae liquid gas in a scuba tank due to the low presure and low temp. I guess the relief valve could poerate at a higher presure but I see that being a little risky.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom