Tanks in HOT cars and wrecks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess I should ask what everyone thinks is the right answer for storage.

Is full OK for long term storage?
What constitutes long term?
Upright or side or either?
Max humidity?
Max temp range?
If I want a tank for shop air, does that constitute long term/is that dumb?

I keep 12 tanks in my garage laying down on their side with valves out. The ones I need to take for fills stand up unsecured next to the stack until I get around to driving out there. There is no reason to be concerned with compressed air being stored in the house.

Get it filled and she'll forget sooner or later. When she does figure it out you can tell her it's been down there for months and hasn't killed her.

yes

years

yes

Max humidity?
<100%

Max temp range?
< boiling

no

Max humidity?
Max temp range?
3. I was taught to store upright. Walls of steel cylinders are very thin. So, if there are any water droplets in the cylinders, you would rather have any pitting (from rust) occur on the bottom, much thicker part of the cylinder (rather on the thin walls).

Also: You don't want the cylinder falling over. So, if there is any chance the cylinder can fall over (say, from foot traffic or from pets), you might use chain or cable or webbing, etc., to secure the standing cylinder in place.

rx7diver

I think at this point, I think you need to request that she come up with evidence that a full tank in the basement will be a problem. Otherwise this will escalate to you not being able to carry it on your back either.

Unfortunately you're trying to counter an irrational argument with rational data. It's like trying to explain to someone that has a fear of snakes that snakes aren't lying in wait to attack them every time they step outside. Same with sharks.

I'd be interested to hear about her experience with 200 psi failures in manufacturing. What caused it? Was the equipment inspected? Was the equipment being used correctly and designed for the application it was being used in? Sometimes in manufacturing products haven't completed the testing stage and fail during that testing. Other times there are equipment failures because of improper maintenance or unintended use. Nothing designed and tested for an operation just "fails" without reason. Remove the reason you remove the failure. This includes scuba tanks. Someone with a background in manufacturing should understand that.

Your tanks have passed the testing and inspections. Multiple times I would guess. The fact that they passed should prove them safe from about everything but stupidity. They are safe to be filled, stored, transported, and used as dictated by their design parameters. Again, if she has a background in manufacturing she should understand that.

Honestly, at this point, I'd just fill the tank and store it safely as planned and deal with the repercussions. Either that or get rid of of the tank and accept, and thereby, reinforce her irrational argument.

I think the OP’s wife would be absolutely horrified with the number of tanks I have right in my living room, some of them 100% O2. They’ve not killed me nor exploded and leveled my apartment building. 🤣😂

3. I was taught to store upright. Walls of steel cylinders are very thin. So, if there are any water droplets in the cylinders, you would rather have any pitting (from rust) occur on the bottom, much thicker part of the cylinder (rather on the thin walls).
OK, this one here.

This feels old wives tail-ish to me. The statement as an absolute seems fine, my problem is: Is this a realistic concern? Is this a holdover from the days of getting fills with wet air? The same concern as opening the tank valve wide open to drain it would cause condensation inside the tank? Recent comments here suggest that is just not a thing anymore. Should this one also be deemed obsolete thinking?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom