Liquivision's new computer & BT: XEO & XEN

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What were the objections to a rechargable battery?

If memory serves, a few people brought up a concern about the lifespan and replacement options.
I don't recall hearing about anyone having battery failures to date, but should there be some in the years to come (as they age), Liquivision's customer support is second to none in this industry (IMO) and I'm sure getting it replaced won't be an issue.

...does the fact that the new models are non-rechargable imply that the company feels it perhaps made a mistake with the X1's and that the X1's will also be upgraded to a newer non-rechargable version X1 ?

...does the fact that the new models are non-rechargable imply that the company feels it perhaps made a mistake with the X1's and that the X1's will also be upgraded to a newer non-rechargable version X1 ?

We didn't make a mistake putting a rechargeable battery in the X1. Some people prefer rechargeable computers. Others prefer disposable batteries. Since we had already satisfied all the people who wanted rechargeable products, we left out half the market that wanted a disposable battery product. So we simply catered to their demand. Now you have the choice.

Keep in mind also that a rechargeable product will be significantly more expensive. The rechargeable battery itself is expensive. Plus, if you look at the X1, there is also the international AC adapter with plug adapters; and the charging attachment; not to mention extensive circuitry inside the unit to control recharging, as well as circuitry to protect the battery from over charging and over discharging.

Getting a bright OLED with high performance CPU to run for a long time on a disposable battery is a huge challenge, and it took a year to figure out how to do it, but now we did, and you have the choice of disposable or rechargeable.

Eric Fattah
Liquivision Products

Hi Eric,

How long will a fresh battery last in the Xeo and Xen? Thanks.

Have you ever held an X-1 and tried the tap interface first-hand? Don't knock it if you haven't tried it. Having used it, I don't ever want buttons on anything again.

...given that the newer generation computers like the Atomic Cobalt are using magnetic switch buttons, it appears to have solved the whole motive behind the tap-interface, namely avoiding any hull penetration / flooding issues...so if that's no longer an issue, I prefer the more precise control offered by 'buttons'.

Hi Eric,

How long will a fresh battery last in the Xeo and Xen? Thanks.

Internal testing produced the following results:
Xeo, full color mode, medium brightness: 50 hours of dive time
Xeo, green only text, low brightness: 97 hours of dive time
Xen, full color, medium brightness, 57 hours
Xen, green only, low brightness, 130 hours of dive time

Those numbers are assuming you run a sim right after putting in a battery. If you wait 6 months first, you will have used up some battery from standby drain, and the number would be less. The standby time is somewhere between 1 and 3 years, we are still doing tests on that. Please note that the above numbers are from our internal tests at room temperature. We have not yet decided what numbers to 'claim' on the battery life, since it also depends on which colors you set the text to.

To get this type of battery life from a small disposable battery required a specialized lithium battery. We will distribute the battery to all our dealers and it should be available for very little. You can change the battery with no tools at all (not even a coin), and it takes about 30 seconds.

Eric Fattah
Liquivision Products

...given that the newer generation computers like the Atomic Cobalt are using magnetic switch buttons, it appears to have solved the whole motive behind the tap-interface, namely avoiding any hull penetration / flooding issues...so if that's no longer an issue, I prefer the more precise control offered by 'buttons'.

..given that the newer generation computers like the Liquivisions are using a tap interface, it appears to have solved the whole motive behind the magnetic switch buttons, namely avoiding any hull penetration / flooding issues...so if that's no longer an issue ........

I hope to get one of these two. I am not sure if it will be the Xen or Xeo yet. I am starting to look at using a BT rather than a computer. Thanks for listening Eric. I was trying to find the old F1 and the Xen looks sweet.

Air integrated...really? Well, there are options for everyone, I guess.

... I'm not convinced the touch-tap interface is something I'd be crazy about. I think I'm gonna hold out for the wrist mount Atomic Cobalt to come out, compare things at that point, and then pull the trigger. ...but am going to Scubatoys today to pick up my (2) Cobalts...
Before buying my X1 I was concerned about both of these features - a) the rechargeable / built in battery and b) the tap interface, plus c) I was not at all sure that the display was big enough, irresepctive of how bright the OLED screen might be. Turns out that a) I much prefer the tap interface to buttons (it is so-o-o much easier with gloves on), b) using a rechargeable battery is not a problem in any way (at least not for my particular diving) and c) the screen is more than ample in size. Were both the X1 and the Xeo available at the beginning, I possibly would have bought the Xeo, simply on the basis of cost. But, now that I am a confirmed X1 user, it isn't an issue. I have found LiquidVision to be an outstanding company to deal with, their customer service is exemplary, and I am delighted they are expanding their product line, to allow many others to experience the product and the organization. I also appreciate the fact that they don't promise 'newer / better / cheaper / whatever' models well in advance of being certain that they will be able to supply them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom