Live From Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Current was strong at Colombia/Palancar Brick today for 60 minutes and a max depth of 96 feet. Next dive was paradise reef, shallow for 87 minutes. Yess 1 hour and 27 minutes. Saw the largest golden spotted eel ever, 2 feet long plus a yellow ray, scorpion fish and other stuff.

Its been raining a lot down here. Today is my last day of diving and I expect a good fresh water rinse on the ride out. Yesterday at Chankanab I saw a tourist submarine. When I swam up to it there were a bunch of kids on board and they went nuts, waving with the parents taking pictures.

The restaurants in Coz are having a bad time. Many hotels have converted to all inclusive format, including some that are close to town.

Hi Ron, what is the pier at the Barracuda like? Easy on/off? Or do you have to go somewhere to catch your boat. Tell the Blue XT Sea gang that Sue Sue and Mike say HI! We miss them.

The Barracuda Hotel sure looks much better than it did when I stayed there in 1981! Glad you had a great time!

leadweight:
The restaurants in Coz are having a bad time. Many hotels have converted to all inclusive format, including some that are close to town.

I'm not sure what gave you that idea. It's no different than it has been for at least the past 7 to 8 years. The only hotel that is now all-inclusive that wasn't before is Cozumel Palace (formerly Plaza Las Glorias).

August - October is slow season, so the crowds are small and restaurants aren't crowded.

A few AI hotels have actually made the AI part optional (Casa del Mar, Hotel Coz, Fiesta Americana, Melia).

Non-AI hotels include (just to name a few):
Casa Mexicana
Bahia
Vista del Mar
Playa Azul
Coral Princess
Villa Blanca
Caribe Blue
Barracuda
La Ceiba
Plus numerous other small hotels

AI only hotels include (actually, these are the only ones right now):
El Cozemeleño (north)
Cozumel Palace
Scuba Club
Reef CLub
Allegro
Occidental Grand
Iberostar

Christie,

Perhaps there is another reason for the restaurant situation, but several owners of Coz restaurants were "singing the blues" to me. It certainly is not the quality of their food to fault. I had a lot of good meals down there. Thanks for all the fish. It was a great week diving on your boats.

Sue Sue:

Pier at the Barracuda is pretty much like any other pier. It takes a bit of clibbing to get on to the boat, but my middle age body could handle it. You do not have to go anywhere else.

I cant say this enough:

Coz may not be exactly the same as it was before Wilma, but it is derfinitely worth diving. I was there in April and things looked different and better at San Francisco wall only four months later. I intend to visit regularly, and watch the reefs grow back. The critters are about, because they have to work harder to find a meal.

-Ron

leadweight:
Christie,
I cant say this enough:

Coz may not be exactly the same as it was before Wilma, but it is derfinitely worth diving. I was there in April and things looked different and better at San Francisco wall only four months later. I intend to visit regularly, and watch the reefs grow back. The critters are about, because they have to work harder to find a meal.

-Ron

personally I think it's going to be BETTER than it was before Wilma!!! I am saying that mainly b/c I never went there before Wilma BUT I am going there......TOMORROW!!!!!!!!

oh yea can't wait, needless to say I am not getting much work done here at work. the anticipation is killing me!!!

how's the weather down there? what is it supposed to be like this weekend? although I must admit even if it pours the entire time I am there I think I am still going to have a great time! nothing is going to ruin this trip for me!!!

gajeep94yj:
personally I think it's going to be BETTER than it was before Wilma!!! I am saying that mainly b/c I never went there before Wilma BUT I am going there......TOMORROW!!!!!!!!

oh yea can't wait, needless to say I am not getting much work done here at work. the anticipation is killing me!!!

how's the weather down there? what is it supposed to be like this weekend? although I must admit even if it pours the entire time I am there I think I am still going to have a great time! nothing is going to ruin this trip for me!!!

Ah, yes, PVS. Pre Vacation Syndrome. ;^)

The weather there right now looks great!

http://image.weather.com/images/sat/caribsat_720x486.jpg

PVS = ROFLMAO (caps on, no shouting intended)

Gang,

The Barracuda has always been my favorite place to stay. No, it's not the nicest hotel on the island but you can't beat the location. The best vacation of my life was right there and we're going back next week. I'm dying to get back down to Cozumel...

-Charles

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom