Liveaboard Advice???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike Veitch:
Four Seasons owns a Liveaboard in the Maldives...

But they schedule only 2 dives per day - 7am and 4pm (my least favorite times to dive!) Too bad they're not serious about the diving part. I'm guessing they probably don't get many avid divers because they don't schedule enough dives, and they don't schedule more dives because they don't have the divers.

lairdb:
This is probably going to sound... something... but: which operators would folks recommend for those who stay at the Four Seasons while seeing the same sights?

On some boats (Fiji Aggressor, Belize Aggressor, Cayman Aggressor among others) there is one premium cabin (on Aggressor it is called master). These cabins have more room, and have no bunk beds (just one double). I'm sure other companies (Peter Hughes, Nekton) have similar.

If cabin size is important, go with Peter Hughes boats or Nekton. Maybe Nekton for your first trip - the larger boats may make you feel less apprehensive about being trapped on a boat for a week.

As you can see, I'm an Aggressor person. I have nothing against the other boats - it's just my second liveaboard was an Aggressor back in 1990, and I find that my diving style and desires fit in with the Aggressor. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. On the other hand, I someday want to dive the Solomons on the Bilikiki. But I will probably dive Sulawesi on the Aggressor first - especially since Capt. Niall was vacationing on the Palau Aggressor when I was there, and I'd really like to dive on his boat.

The Cayman Aggressor is the only one I've done, but it was great. I will definitely do another trip with them. Since you have an opportunity to do 5 dives a day, I didn't really have much time to get tired of our boat mates.

Been on both Nekton and Agressor. Loved them both. About the only difference between the two is the itinerary and the berths. Agressors have bunk bed style berths and some of the boats (i think all now) have heads in the rooms. The Nekton has either two twin beds of one queen with heads in each room. Diving was great, food was great crew was great. Decide where you want to go, and book it!

I've done both Nekton and Black Beard. The first was Black Beard. I have to say that I almost gave up on live aboards. It conditions were tough. It has been described as camping on the water but I think that is too kind of a description. The boat was cramped and uncomfortable. The compressors were very noisy and were on most of the day. Let's not even talk about the head and shower situation. On the plus side, it was cheap, the diving was great and the food was good. I went to the Beneath the sea show and spoke with several people and was told to give live aboards one more try but with a different boat. The Nekto trip was totally different. The diving was great. The dive platform made getting on and off the boat easy even in rough weather. Speaking of weather, we were hit with tropical storm Aileen and the boat did not roll. It pitched a lot but limited side to side motion. The food and crew were great and made you feel at home. The cabin was small but I had it all to myself. Best of all, there were comfortable places to sit down when you were not diving. On Black Beard you had an fiberglass bench on Nekton, there were lounge chairs, lawn chairs and cushioned benches in the galley.

I will do another Nekton trip in the future. I have written off Black Beard as a memory. If it is all you can afford and can withstand a week without comfort go for it. In my book, I would rather do day trips rather than a week on Black Beard again.

I just did the Big Blue Explorer in Palau. A large boat, the B cabins vary in size, but the honeymoon suite has a queen size bed. The others have a double and a top bunk. Not huge rooms, but comfortable enough. 2 chairs, a desk and ours had a decent sized bath. i of the rooms was pretty small. Noise was never a problem. I never heard anyone in the other rooms. It had a large front deck with a hot tub. The food was good. A chef from the Philippines. The crew was great, very accomodating and experienced. I'd highly recommend it. It's not an Aggressor, not as high end. One person described it as "slightly run down", but I think it was quite comfortable. At almost 200', you weren't tripping over people, and could always find a quiet place to reflect. We had the option of 5 dives a day. It was the best dive vacation I've had and highly recommend it.

valligurl:
I just did the Big Blue Explorer in Palau. A large boat, the B cabins vary in size, but the honeymoon suite has a queen size bed. The others have a double and a top bunk. Not huge rooms, but comfortable enough. 2 chairs, a desk and ours had a decent sized bath. i of the rooms was pretty small. Noise was never a problem. I never heard anyone in the other rooms. It had a large front deck with a hot tub. The food was good. A chef from the Philippines. The crew was great, very accomodating and experienced. I'd highly recommend it. It's not an Aggressor, not as high end. One person described it as "slightly run down", but I think it was quite comfortable. At almost 200', you weren't tripping over people, and could always find a quiet place to reflect. We had the option of 5 dives a day. It was the best dive vacation I've had and highly recommend it.

We are scheduled to go on BBE in November, so this is a very timely report from you.

To date we have been on two liveaboards: both times to the Red Sea on the Royal Emperor. The first time was the best. There were only 9 of us on the boat, and we were outnumbered by crew almost 2:1. :wink:

But of course that doesn't count the fact that we ran our own sail/dive charter out of the Bahamas for 2 years. So we are a little spoiled. :lol2:

The best advice: pack light. T-shirts, shorts, bathings suits. DO NOT take those huge rolling beasties of a dive bag because in all likelihood the only space for them will be in YOUR cabin.

Have fun,

I don't think anyone's mentioned the Flower Garden Banks boats in Freeport, and you're in Texas so that's your closest liveaboard. They're also the only liveaboard I've done, once a year for the past 5 years or so.

It's definitely "no-frills", but I like it that way just fine, would rather spend my money on the diving (which is great) than on more privacy which I don't need. There are cabins with 4-6 bunks, and some bunks in the stairway area too. There's also one double-bunk cabin forward, it's for a couple, if you speak up early before boarding and get it, you'll actually get some privacy. I go alone, so don't care where I sleep as long as it's a lower bunk in a cabin rather than out in the open area. For a 3-day trip this is just fine, you're only in your bunk ( with a privacy curtain) to sleep. Changing clothes hasn't been an issue, even in "co-ed" cabins. Either do it in your bunk or ask for a minute from your cabin mates to change. Not a big deal. Your "privacy unit" is your bunk, not your cabin. You shower out on deck (in swim suit) after each dive. Yes, sometimes you have to wait for your turn in the "head".

You spend most of your time on the dive deck, in the galley, or up on the sun deck, or in the water diving, not in your bunk.

If you want more luxury, then follow some of the wise suggestions from above, it'll be worth it to you. But you could try out the Freeport boats for a 2 or 3-day trip to see if you like them or if they're too spartan for you. The ones I've been on are the SPREE and the FLING, web site is www.gulf-diving.com

After doing 5 dives a day, no one else will be awake to hear you snore, except me. I brought a pair of earplugs AND a great pair of SONY NOISE REDUCTION HEADPHONES! A must have for air travel and loud snorers !

NEKTON was great . My buddy and I are both 6 foot 200 + lb guys and we had separate twin beds and did just fine. Going with your GF/BF will be fine. Remember, you are here to dive, eat, sleep, repeat. I'm very picky , but had the time of my life. It is what you make it. There was every level of diver from newbie to dive vet. You are never singled out or to made feel uncomfortable. Matter of fact, they go out of thier way to make sure you have a good time. Remember they work on tips , so take care of them !

Divers are good natured for the most part, in my experience, and always willing to help , or give advice from experience. I am always learning new things . Like dive socks ? Who knew ?

I recommend dive socks for repetitive diving , no sores on the feet from lots of kicking/ thank me later.

Once you are in the middle of paradise, you will have no worries other than , its time to eat , again >? :wink:

Diver63:
My girlfriend and I have considered a liveaboard trip, but I have heard stories about some of them which makes me wonder what they are really like and if I would really enjoy such a trip. Such as: The boats are small so you are sharing quarters with other divers on bunk beds. After a few days of being cramped for space people start undressing in front of everone else. Some people get irratated with others, etc. Plus, I snore really bad which would probably bother anyone in close vicinity of me so I wouldn't want to inconvience them either. So can anyone who has made these trips give advice as to the truths and myths and what they are really like?

I have been on six Aggressor trips, most recently in The Galapagos Islands and Cocos Island. All of the experiences have been EXCELLENT. The diving was superb with up to five dives each day. Excellent, comprehensive pre-dive briefings. Excellent dive staff, knowledgable and safe. The accommodations of all of the vessels were excellent, comfortable bunks, nice baths. The salons were VERY comfortable, with a good selection of DVD's, videos, books, and magazines. The food was always excellent. After dive snacks were yummie! The warm towels after a dive are a nice touch. You cannot go wrong with Aggressor based on my experiences. Enjoy the trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom