Liveaboard away from the crowd?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi,

Sorry to piggyback this thread and happy to start a new one if this is too much of a hijack.

I'm looking to do a liveabord in May this year in Sudan.

I heard the easiest way to do this is boarding in Egypt and sailing south - anyone know which operations do this trip?

I'm interested in diving with large pelagics and ideally longimanus if they're around.

As a side note: does anyone know whether the longimanus are about in the same abundance/frequency in the southern eygpt off shore reefs this year, like they were last year (brothers, daedalus, st john's etc)?

Many thanks,
John

Hi,

Sorry to piggyback this thread and happy to start a new one if this is too much of a hijack.

I'm looking to do a liveabord in May this year in Sudan.

I heard the easiest way to do this is boarding in Egypt and sailing south - anyone know which operations do this trip?

I'm interested in diving with large pelagics and ideally longimanus if they're around.

As a side note: does anyone know whether the longimanus are about in the same abundance/frequency in the southern eygpt off shore reefs this year, like they were last year (brothers, daedalus, st john's etc)?

Many thanks,
John
Diving the Sudanese waters from Egypt is done only via a 2-weeks liveaboard. Currently there's only one boat doing this itinerary called Royal Evolution.

The best season for Longimanus is November/December (at least that's how it used to be :))

Diving the Sudanese waters from Egypt is done only via a 2-weeks liveaboard. Currently there's only one boat doing this itinerary called Royal Evolution.

The best season for Longimanus is November/December (at least that's how it used to be :))

Hi Shadow,

Thanks for the post although unfortunate given I can't squeeze two weeks out of my wife or work.

Hmmm.

My backup plan would be a liveabord in the south (St Johns). I did the 'big three' itinerary last May - Brothers, Daedalus, Elphinstone. I loved it but my buddy thought it was a bit mono-featured (longimanus mainly) so he's looking for something new (I also think he's a bit spooked cos he got bumped a few times by longimanus)

Are the itineraries further south a bit more varied (St John's etc.) or is it more of the same with a little more octane?

Thanks,

John

I'm guessing you weren't replying to me but to the OP.

If Sudan, how would you recommend diving it. I've got 7-10 days in May and ideally I'd like to do Sudan but fallback plan of Southern Egypt. My intention would be to liveabord.

Thanks,
J

Hi Shadow,

Thanks for the post although unfortunate given I can't squeeze two weeks out of my wife or work.

Hmmm.

My backup plan would be a liveabord in the south (St Johns). I did the 'big three' itinerary last May - Brothers, Daedalus, Elphinstone. I loved it but my buddy thought it was a bit mono-featured (longimanus mainly) so he's looking for something new (I also think he's a bit spooked cos he got bumped a few times by longimanus)

Are the itineraries further south a bit more varied (St John's etc.) or is it more of the same with a little more octane?

Thanks,

John
It depends on the personal taste. Personally I'd say Brothers - Daedalus - Elphinstone is more varied than St. Johns.

St-John has some good variety (not only drop-offs) but rather less "octane" than Brothers, Daedalus or Elphinstone. Also corals, though healthy, are a bit less colourful at St-John IMO.
But still there are some very good dives there, where you can spot grey sharks if they haven't been fished in between.
And internet isn't the best medium for talking about places far from the crowds (plus I feel being part of the crowd myself :))

I'm guessing you weren't replying to me but to the OP.

Yeah,sorry.
Anyways,to do a Sudan liveaboard from Egypt you need two weeks just as Shadow has told you.
I was there 4 years ago so I don't know how and if things have changed.I flew to Cairo,spent a night there,well half a night actually as we got to the hotel at around 3am.Took another flight to Port Sudan at,I think to remember, 9pm.Between delays and a messy luggage collecting with Sudanese pushing and shoving trying to get past you we finally got to our boat at 3am.again,leaving port at 8 am.
So a bit of a pain in the arse to get there,but excellent diving with excellent viz.Mainly drop offs.Lots of grays and a few white tip but sadly we didn't catch any hammerhead.
The Umbria is a first rate wreck.You do it on the last day as it's in front of Port Sudan.
I was there in October.Water temp.31°.No crowds at all.

Hmmm, sounds like I might want to do same itinerary as last year. Which I'm all up for, just not sure buddy will be.

And whilst I like off the beaten track (just got back from south Tanzania) I just don't have enough time this time and I really want some fun shark interaction. This time with a camera that works :)

Thanks for the posts. If anyone has any tips they'd prefer to keep shush (frogman) I'm more than happy to be PM'd :D

J

Back
Top Bottom