Liveaboard fatality - Caymans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is a sign on the dive deck that clearly states no solo diving and a buddy is required. This pic is from the dive deck on the Cayman Aggressor last year.
Such signs are often more to please insurance companies & lawyers, reducing their liabilities - often not enforced, altho maybe they do?

As I recall the boat briefing upon arrival includes information saying that everybody must have a buddy. The sign backs it up. I don't see it as the crew's responsibility to enforce it. For the most part on this boat, when I was there, the pool was open if the boat was tied to a mooring. You could go with a guide if you wanted or you and your buddy could go dive on your own. Although I suppose the captain is probably going to be held responsible for this to some degree depending on what actually happened.

Such signs are often more to please insurance companies & lawyers, reducing their liabilities - often not enforced, altho maybe they do?

Seven people have died and a eighth is missing and presumed drowned in local waters since the start of 2015, one of the deadliest years so far over the past decade.

no matter how you look at it this a sad information.

In the spirit of Accident Analysis, here's my take based upon things in the official record and second hand information I have heard on island...

1. The Cayman Aggressor was moored in an area where it could not fit through the boat channel to reach a nearby dock. It was a site quite far from where public rescue resources are based. Fortunately Ocean Frontiers had a boat nearby and was able to render assistance. What would have happened had that not been the case?

I would recommend that the Aggressor have a tender in the water when dives are conducted at such sites and that their staff is trained on the procedures to dock that tender at the nearest dock. (proper approach through boat channels, areas of coral heads to avoid, etc....)

2. Local word from another boat captain on the water that day is that the Cayman Aggressor hailed the OF boat via VHF radio and then switched from channel 16 to channel 18 to discuss the missing diver.

VHF channel 16 is the designated emergency frequency for short range marine use. That is the channel that emergency response agencies will monitor. Switching channels is a habit for normal everyday communications but MUST NOT happen in a true emergency unless directed to do so by an emergency response agency. Timely notification of emergency response is imperative. Use VHF 16 or simply dial 9-1-1. The site was very close to shore and cell signals easily reach. Cayman has a police helicopter that could have been overhead in 5 minutes to assist in any search, if the chopper was available.

3. There are certain allegations about the diver's behavior during prior dives. The exact statements are not important and may not be true, but lead me to simply reinforce that making a safe dive plan and sticking to it are of the utmost importance. Get your health checked by a doctor before a major dive trip, especially if you are of advanced age. Practice healthy hydration during a dive trip. Go over the depth and time with your buddy and STICK TO IT. Stick to your MOD for your nitrox blend. Plan communication signals in advance.

Last edited:
Jeez. Stupid on air, suicide on Nitrox.
Agreed, but does it seem odd to anyone else that an experienced diver would apparently attempt a bounce dive well past the MOD of his gas?

Dr. Jyoti said the cause of death was seawater drowning related to nitrogen toxicity from scuba diving.
What is nitrogen toxicity? Narced...? DCI...?
I'm guessing they mean oxygen toxicity?

What is nitrogen toxicity? Narced...? DCI...?
I'm guessing they mean oxygen toxicity?

Astonishing. I expect them to say "oxygen" when they mean "air", but the one time they're supposed to say "oxygen", they say "nitrogen".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom