Liveaboard fatality - Caymans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

He went to 300-plus feet, on Nitrox? Apparently on purpose?

Yikes.

I don't understand how you came to the conclusion indicated by your second question. Since the diver was separated from his group, and may not, or did not, have had a designated buddy, we will likely never know why he descended to 314ft on Nitrox.

Dr. Jyoti said the cause of death was seawater drowning related to nitrogen toxicity from scuba diving.
I assume they really meant oxygen toxicity? I wonder if he was narked and did it by mistake. I guess the world will never know.

Hopefully, for his family's sake, insurance pays out for "misadventure" whatever that is.

Alta, poor choice of words on my part, I didn't intend it as a "conclusion". Just that he went that deep, then surfaced, where he was found unresponsive.

The article said he had an MOD of 110, so I'm assuming he's on 32% @1.4. That's only a max ppO2 of 2.41 at 314'. Nothing I'd try, but I'm sure I've seen multiple posts about people saying they'd be okay diving very high momentary exposures like this. Usually in a thread debating about dipping down to save a wayward buddy or simmilar. I was under the impression that OxTox was largely a function of fO2*time.

I think I've even seen mention by a few older navy divers hitting 3.0 on purpose...

I'm not advocating diving high f02. However, this guy apparently did the dive, and then came back up and then died. He didn't tox out at depth.

Last edited:
Hopefully, for his family's sake, insurance pays out for "misadventure" whatever that is.

Misadventure is a word used in legal systems derived from the "old english legal system" and basically means you did something stupid or inadvisable and the inevitable happened.

It basically translates to saying it was the deceased persons own fault. In the UK it is often applied in inquests into deaths where a person has had an accident whilst not taking due care and attention to their own safety. For example someone climbing on a rock face without a safety rope or harness and then falling - would be classed as misadventure. Trying to 'jump' over a gully or river on a motorbike using an improvised ramp, and failing with fatal consequences would be classed as misadventure.

Insurance companies are likely to jump on the misadventure verdict like a lifeline unfortunately for the relatives.

- P

I came to this thread only recently, and was puzzled by the fact that readers were speaking with knowledge about an article that is not linked in the thread. I assume that link was lost when two threads were merged. Here is the article:

Inquest reaches misadventure verdict in diving death case | Cayman Compass
I linked to the thread I posted on Legal Cases forum when I updated yesterday, but now it seems to be missing...?

The inquest has been reported. See Inquest Reaches Misadventure Verdict In Diving Death Case - Caymans, 2015

Includes "Mr. Crawford had dived to a depth of 314 feet, which is far beyond a safe diving depth."

That an experienced diver would try a bounce dive to 314 is not a surprise to me. There have been a number of accident reports on these pages that describe exactly that. Lots of folks walk the edge and like to think they are special until they are not.

He could have easily been narced out of his tree independently of having O2 issues.

The article said he had an MOD of 110, so I'm assuming he's on 32% @1.4. That's only a max ppO2 of 2.41 at 314'.
Check your math.

314/33 +1 = 10.5 ATA
10.5 * .32 = 3.36

That's a pretty high PO2.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom