Liveaboard "Go Bag"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dianna912

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What do you put in your "go bag."

We are thinking: passports, cash, one cell phone and maybe even a battery bank and charger just in case. Cell phones have satellite based SOS but we are also thinking PLB1 in our dry bag.

What are we missing?

I'd probably prioritize credit cards. And make sure you have sealed dry bags for electronics, and you keep them sealed.

I have a cheap little dive light I used during daylight or as a backup on night dives. One of its modes is a strobe. I'd probably have that and a couple batteries for it.

Where is your car at this point? If it's at your house, no problem. Just leave your car keys at home. If it's at the airport, you might want car keys. For the housekey, I'd just make sure a neighbor had one we could borrow in a pinch.

Very good thought on car keys, I would not have thought of that!
I'd probably prioritize credit cards. And make sure you have sealed dry bags for electronics, and you keep them sealed.

I have a cheap little dive light I used during daylight or as a backup on night dives. One of its modes is a strobe. I'd probably have that and a couple batteries for it.

Where is your car at this point? If it's at your house, no problem. Just leave your car keys at home. If it's at the airport, you might want car keys. For the housekey, I'd just make sure a neighbor had one we could borrow in a pinch.

Very good thought on car keys, I would not have thought of that!

Go bag should be something with a strap that goes around your neck. If it's handheld, you may find that you've packed it but lost it or you may need both hands for exiting/escaping etc.

Look, be prepared but don't be freaked out. It's unlikely that you'll meet a killer down current etc.

Listen closely to briefings.

Take the opportunity to talk to guides and/or cruise director between dives, or at dinner, etc. Don't wait to express concerns at the last minute.

If, during a dive briefing, you don't understand something, make sure you're clear on procedure and/or dive plan before leaving the main ship.

Pair of N95 masks sitting on top of the go-bag in case of smoke

A few hundred dollars cash ain't a bad idea

What do you put in your "go bag."

We are thinking: passports, cash, one cell phone and maybe even a battery bank and charger just in case. Cell phones have satellite based SOS but we are also thinking PLB1 in our dry bag.

What are we missing?
Is the "go bag" intended to be something you jump overboard with in case of emergency? Or something you take on a dive?

• Signaling device(s) of course.
  • If yes, perhaps a SMB or 2 for flotation, perhaps some way to secure it (clip top to bottom) if you get tired, some cord to keep people from drifting apart.
  • Perhaps a water-filter-straw thing, if you can find one that works with salt-water, or a water-bottle/bag with fresh-water.
  • Warmth may be a big problem, and somewhat difficult to pack in a go-bag. I'm not sure what to use for this. Try to grab your wetsuit on the way out, or always wear an adequate one.
  • Sun-protection - Perhaps something like this, it packs up quite small.
  • Food could be convenient, but probably very low on my list. If you bring anything, I'd go with high-calorie foods.

Is the "go bag" intended to be something you jump overboard with in case of emergency? Or something you take on a dive?

• Signaling device(s) of course.
  • If yes, perhaps a SMB or 2 for flotation, perhaps some way to secure it (clip top to bottom) if you get tired, some cord to keep people from drifting apart.
  • Perhaps a water-filter-straw thing, if you can find one that works with salt-water, or a water-bottle/bag with fresh-water.
  • Warmth may be a big problem, and somewhat difficult to pack in a go-bag. I'm not sure what to use for this. Try to grab your wetsuit on the way out, or always wear an adequate one.
  • Sun-protection - Perhaps something like this, it packs up quite small.
  • Food could be convenient, but probably very low on my list. If you bring anything, I'd go with high-calorie foods.
So, basically my thought is: if we had an emergency situation where we had to abandon ship, but aren’t literally left floating in open water. (At that point, whatever. Let the sharks take me.) 🦈

I met a girl who was on the Galapagos boat that sunk. They ended up in a life raft for something like 14 hours. Oh, and her next trip, the boat had a fire, but it was luckily extinguished.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom