Liveaboard Pros and Cons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Best - My wife and I sailed with the Cuan Law in the BVI with only 3 other divers. They would have canceled the sailing due to there only being five of us but I believe Scott was training to become captain and needed time at the helm. So we sail and the five of us had a boat that hauls 20 guests all to ourselves and the crew had an easy week with so few guests.

Worst - End of trip plus missing a favored dive site due to weather as we missed French Cay when diving from the T & C Explorer II.

My one and only liveaboard experieince (so far) has been diving the waters of Central Fiji aboard the Nai'a. It has definitely set the bar extremely high for any other liveaboard. The crew was absolutely fantastic, as was the diving, and the friends I made over the course of the week. The only cons that come to mind: the one a_ _hole in the group and the end of the trip.

Like: Waking up, rolling out of the rack,have coffee and some lite eats roll off the boat and go for awesome dive. come-up eat lots of breakfast, rest and go on another fantastic dive. Come back up, nap, eat big lunch and go on another great dive, followed by coming back up, having snacks, another nap and then a night dive after which hot shower,a little drink, huge dinner, going over pictures taken during the day with old and new dive friends and a great nights sleep.
Not like; Whats not to like???

My favs are as everyone else's. My least favorite are being around people for a week but that's my stuff, I'm not much of a people person.

Liveaboards are less tiring than long bus rides to a dive destination. Imagine 6 hours of traveling in a speeding bus instead of the 6 hours resting, interacting, having a meal on a liveaboard. Also, you do not have overcrowding as compared to a day trip boat.

The kind of people on the LOB is important too. You do not want any irritants or troublemaker as they can really spoil the whole trip.

More dives per trip and cost is often less per tank than land based! It the best way to see the ocean!

Favorites:

1) Fresh-cooked meals or snacks between every dive to refuel - my favorites are the Euro-style boats where they have a "continental" breakfast (coffee, breads/pastries, cheese, fruit) before the first dive and then take your order for a cooked-to-order "real" breakfast following the first dive.

2) Deck showers conveniently located where you take off and hang your wetsuit - best when they maintain a bottle of shampoo there or even better, a shampoo dispenser.

3) Utmost convenience for photographers/videographers - on many boats you never have to carry your bulky heavy system, just point out to a deckhand which camera is yours and they load it on the dinghy and hand it to you when you're in the water; hand it back after the dive and they get it back on the liveaboard, rinsed, and sitting on the camera table waiting for you to dry it and start fiddling.

4) Far more social interaction than day-boat diving since you live in close quarters with these people for a week or more, which means more time to explore each other's diving histories and realize that the "seven degrees of separation" is more like one or two degrees at most when you get to talking and find out you know someone they know in the rather small universe of avid divers (and being on a liveaboard usually qualifies one to be an avid diver).

5) Unlimited nitrox. I hate day boat diving for making me undergo the cost-benefit analysis for each overpriced tank that I want to dive. It's a far simpler and much healthier calculation to fork over a lump sum and then dive nitrox on every dive. I just wish that they'd take a cue from dive ops in Bonaire and offer the nitrox for free.

Dislikes:

1) Stuck in a small, sometimes stuffy, sometimes stinky, sometimes wet cabin, many times suffering a small uncomfortable bed, and sometimes sharing your shower with the rest of the "head" - worst was the O____ A_____ (don't want to name names of course, but it's a liveaboard that plies the waters of a certain island way off Costa Rica): We were instructed to throw our used TP in the wastebasket ("Mexican style") instead of in the head - they assured us they'd change the wastebaskets daily, but they didn't. Furthermore, the cramped cabin (smaller than most liveaboards I've done) had a severe mold issue growing on the very weak A/C vents. We were stuck in that humid hot hellhole for 10 nights, and paid darn good money for the privilege!

2) Why do non-drinkers take alcohol-inclusive boats when alternatives exist?

3) Sometimes I'm not the a-hole of the trip, it's someone even more an a-hole than me :wink:

4) Broken things: When you're in the middle of nowhere, stuff happens and sometimes it can't be fixed, or even when it can be fixed, it leads to delays. This applies to mechanical problems (broken hot tubs, broken outboard motors on the skiffs, broken marine head system, broken main engine, broken alternator (no electricity), broken plumbing (no water!), broken hot water heaters, etc.). I've suffered all of those at one point or another, but fortunately never suffered a broken compressor so at least the dives could go on! This also applies to human problems: having any sort of incident on a remotely-located liveaboard (I don't mean Palau, where you're only an hour away from town) can suck big time, though I have found that it's a rare liveaboard that doesn't have at least one MD passenger aboard for good luck.

5) I hate when they provide shampoo by the deck shower, but rarely refill it.

6) 28-hour days are really required in order to get in all the day's dives, meals, socializing, and still have enough time to fiddle with the camera in between. I've actually been exhausted enough to sit out a dive or two during the week, but nearly always regretted my decision and regretted it the most during my Bali-Komodo liveaboard when I sat out the one night dive when we finally had a chance to spot stargazers. I'm still kicking myself over that one and will keep kicking until I hopefully someday have another chance to spot them.

Liveaboards are the only way to vacation dive for me. Pardon for the ramble to follow...

First was off the GBR for three days and it was just spectacular. As someone said - 100 miles from shore diving with like minded people from all over the world - got me hooked.

The other guests - have yet to do a liveaboard with someone I couldn't tune out if they became obnoxious. Really only one person in 6 liveaboards that was even mildly a problem. Mostly you are with poeple who are really into diving - and tend to be interesting beyond that. I am not a people person particularly and most boats have enough room that you can find a spot to relax on your own - or join in depending on mood. So far no issues at all with both options.

The diving is just better from a whole bunch of perspectives. The instabuddies you get tend to be more than competent - or you can generally dive solo if you are obviously competent and are not in your face about it. The places you dive are the best there is to offer in the area - that's why the liveaboard is there not somewhere else.

Travel and cost is an issue. Takes a long time to get tothe best spots and if you want anything but the basics it is going to cost you - a lot.

So far Raj Ampat was the best - some of my best pictures, just a great all round experience.

Going back in December to try a new boat.

Con: need to cut short with deco beers

For me a dive trip is not just about being underwater. It is also about seeing a new place and getting a taste of regional culture / people etc. Its about driving to a local restaurant after the dive and enjoying a good meal there along with other folks. A lot of times, liveaboard experience tends to be repetitive. You dive from a boat... you dive from a boat and you dive from a boat .... and then you are back home.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom