Info LOB Red Sea - Sep/Oct 2023

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mickybar

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,
I was looking for a liveaboard experience around October in the Red Sea. I've already been on the Sea Serpent Contessa in April 2022, did North and the Brothers, so I was thinking in doing Brothers / Elphinstone / Daedalus.

I know that it can be quite random, but I'd love to see some pelagic and reefs mostly. Is it October a good season? I'm flexible and can do September instead. What about the temperature? Last April was a little bit too cold for my taste (sea temperature was ~21 Celsius).

Traveling from the UK so the most common route is to Hurghada with EasyJet / TUI.

Finally, anyone can share some feedback on the Tillis or Ghazala Explorer?
Thanks!

Hi,
I was looking for a liveaboard experience around October in the Red Sea. I've already been on the Sea Serpent Contessa in April 2022, did North and the Brothers, so I was thinking in doing Brothers / Elphinstone / Daedalus.

I know that it can be quite random, but I'd love to see some pelagic and reefs mostly. Is it October a good season? I'm flexible and can do September instead. What about the temperature? Last April was a little bit too cold for my taste (sea temperature was ~21 Celsius).

Traveling from the UK so the most common route is to Hurghada with EasyJet / TUI.

Finally, anyone can share some feedback on the Tillis or Ghazala Explorer?
Thanks!
You should be able to find something to suit here - Schedule | Red Sea Explorers

It is a great time of year to go. Air temperatures have cooled down a bit, but water is still warm. For early October expect water temperatures between 26 and 30. I did the BDE route at that time last year and was diving in shorts and rash vest for the southern dives, which had a max temp of 30 degrees, the water was noticeably colder closer to Hurghada. By the end of October temperatures will drop by a degree or two.

October is peak season for liveaboards, as there is a excellent chance of seeing pelagics at this time of year, but they can also be seen at other times as well so there isn't really a 'best' time to go. I have a trip booked in early October this year, but heading south to St Johns with Emperor for a bit of a change.

I haven't been on either of the boats you mention. I have been on Sea Legend (which is in the same fleet as Tillis) and that was a bit below average in terms of food and service, although the trip was fine. Ghazala seems to get good reviews, and you can book that as a package with Scuba Travel who often have offers on - although it is unlikely there will be any offers for October. On Ghazala you are most likely to have other English speakers, TIllis will probably be mixed nationalities.

The direct filght ot Hurghada is the easiest option, just check where the boat departs from. If it is Port Ghalib then allow for a 2.5 hour coach transfer to/from the port. The road is pretty good (better than UK roads!) so the journey isn't too bad, and can be better than doing the same trip by boat - which we did last year in rough weather.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom