Liveaboard Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

you probably aren't going to get lots of Nekton positive replies in particular as your post didn't really ask for them, plus the thread then gets into a big argument about the boats, which you really don't want.

We did the Nekton twice and loved both trips. I have trip reports, videos, and photos on my website.

If you do want to go to Fiji on a liveaboard, there are a couple to look at. The Na'a, the Aggressor, and the PH boat which is new there. I would recommend the Aggressor boat that is pontoon rather than monohull though if you are concerned about the wife getting seasick. A friend did the other Agressor boat a few years ago, the monohull one, and he said several people had problems with the rocking.

when are you looking at doing this "first" liveaboard trip? Knowing your preferred travel dates might make the decision where to go much easier!

examples:
Palau prime season is Dec-April because of sharks and mantas mating seasons (sharks Dec-Feb, mantas Mar-Apr). Rainy season is Sept-Nov. It rains daily in Palau, but off and on in dry season. Rainy season means constant downpours so bad they can't even send dive boats out and some liveaboards shut down for whole month of Oct since it is so bad.
Bahamas - the Aquacat is there year round, Nekton is only there in late spring-summer. Water temps are chilly and sometimes pretty bumpy from Jan-May, calmer and warmer in summer months but there is chance of hurricanes.

robin:D
Thanks! Good info as usual!

As for the time period for travel I'm thinking of either late May for our anniversary or if that didn't work maybe July. We're already going to Oahu for 10 days in November and probably can't do anything before then. Wife is a CPA so she'll be imprisoned for tax season until April 15th. Her company won't let anyone go on vacation until at least the 3rd week in April. Since she's a senior manager there is a small window in late January and early February before she starts too heavy into reviewing work.

Other than that I could arrange for the best time for the diving depending on location but late spring through summer is probably best. I know that in some areas that’s bad timing because of the flip flop of season between hemispheres.

Vis is really important to both of us. We love CZM because of the unlimited vis we've seen there so many times. We also love the swim troughs and pinnacles there and love drift dive.

We love Tahiti because of the vis and the sharks. We also thought the color on the reefs and the variety of fish there is greater than most everywhere we've been. I love sharks – the wife does too but not as much and after awhile she has her fill of them and tends to get a little anxious about them.

Costa Rica was great because of the sheer number of fish. We were there in Nov and in Feb and the diving was good although a little bit too much chop on the surface and surge on the bottom for my wife............we found out that she could pass pineapple chunks through her Atomic B2......yuk......:) I'll never forget seeing all that pineapple on accent and wondering...'where did that come from?'.......:)

The best thing we liked about Kona was the Manta's, we love Manta's. Some of dive sites like ‘suck’em up’ were fun but I think the dive sites would be different from the KA.

We like Florida Keys in the more calm times of the year for the shallow reefs and long bottom times, also, just the relaxing meandering around the finger corals.

So, that’s a little bit of what we’ve liked about some areas. I think your description of Palau meets some of this as does Figi. Done Philippines?

You’re right, I need to do some Youtube searches for specific LOBs. Your posts are certainly helpful in narrowing those searches!

Thanks again!

April-July is not bad for Palau, you just won't see as many sharks as during peak times. Vis is very good there, too, with the exception of German Channel where you see the mantas. But the whole reason the mantas come there is to feed on the plankton, so if the vis is clear then no plankton and no mantas. :wink: If you are looking at the Palau Aggressor, I think your wife would be fine with that boat. It is a pontoon system plus they keep it moored in a cove and all diving is done from skiffs with just 5-15 minute boat ride. Another nice thing is that the liveaboards all talk to each other and make sure they aren't doing the same dive sites at same time.... the only time we saw them was on Saturday, back at Koror when both boats when back in change out guests. :D

Kona Aggressor might be good during that time period, too. Vis is good there and you have a good chance of mantas. :D We have talked about doing this trip several times and just haven't gotten around to it. The topside stuff: volcano national park and all the waterfalls, hiking, food, etc. are great so make sure you spend a day or two after the trip doing those before you leave. :D

Philippines is not known for good vis. Most of the land-based resorts do 3-4 dives per day so no reason to really do a liveaboards there, IMHO. :wink:

Fiji is supposed to be good year round but that timeframe I think the water is cooling off (their winter) so maybe high 70s. Everyone I have talked with about the liveaboards there loved them and said the diving was fantastic. :D

Price wise, Palau and Fiji are the most expensive mentioned. Kona is a bit cheaper and not so much jetlag afterwards. The Bahamas (Nekton or Aquacat) are the least expensive and easiest to get to/from. Nekton docks in Ft. Lauderdale and Aquacat docks in Freeport, I think.

Was in the Philippines in March, and think the only reason to do a LOB there is to do Tubbataha. They only go out there March thru May due to rough seas the other 9 months. Best corrals I've ever seen.

April-July is not bad for Palau, you just won't see as many sharks as during peak times. Vis is very good there, too, with the exception of German Channel where you see the mantas. But the whole reason the mantas come there is to feed on the plankton, so if the vis is clear then no plankton and no mantas. :wink: If you are looking at the Palau Aggressor, I think your wife would be fine with that boat. It is a pontoon system plus they keep it moored in a cove and all diving is done from skiffs with just 5-15 minute boat ride. Another nice thing is that the liveaboards all talk to each other and make sure they aren't doing the same dive sites at same time.... the only time we saw them was on Saturday, back at Koror when both boats when back in change out guests. :D

Kona Aggressor might be good during that time period, too. Vis is good there and you have a good chance of mantas. :D We have talked about doing this trip several times and just haven't gotten around to it. The topside stuff: volcano national park and all the waterfalls, hiking, food, etc. are great so make sure you spend a day or two after the trip doing those before you leave. :D

Philippines is not known for good vis. Most of the land-based resorts do 3-4 dives per day so no reason to really do a liveaboards there, IMHO. :wink:

Fiji is supposed to be good year round but that timeframe I think the water is cooling off (their winter) so maybe high 70s. Everyone I have talked with about the liveaboards there loved them and said the diving was fantastic. :D

Price wise, Palau and Fiji are the most expensive mentioned. Kona is a bit cheaper and not so much jetlag afterwards. The Bahamas (Nekton or Aquacat) are the least expensive and easiest to get to/from. Nekton docks in Ft. Lauderdale and Aquacat docks in Freeport, I think.
Thanks Robin -

BTW your gallery on your WS is great.

Thanks for helping me to narrow this all down, first choices Figi, Palau, or Kona.......hmmmmm? :)

Alternate choices the carribean with Aquacat or Nekton.

With your LOB experience if you numbered them 1-5 would you come up with a similiar order of preference based on dive experience and value?

Thanks!

Hi, new member here, and I can use everyone's advice!

My 14yr old son (PADI jr open water) and I (PADI advanced open water) are considering going on our first Live aboard for his winter Break this January 17-24, 2010.

I wanted to know if you knew of any trips leaving from the Ft. Lauderdale-Miami area? Unfortunately we cannot afford the longer trips so we are looking for 4-6 day trips. Besides the cost, we especially need to make sure that there are enough shallow dives that we can do keeping within his 60' depth limit. We also are interested in what courses we might take while on board. Can you please tell me what you know of, and at what price?

Thank you!
Bert

... our first Live aboard for his winter Break this January... knew of any trips leaving from the Ft. Lauderdale-Miami area?.... we are looking for 4-6 day trips....

In the winter months, the Gulf Stream precludes most smaller liveaboards from crossing to the Bahamas, which would be the only area close enough for a small ship and short trip.

Libeaboards in general book Saturday>Saturday, 7 days at sea. In other countries, notably the Maldives, the ships arrange shorter voyages using fast boats as shuttle craft, but in the North American Market, it's a weeklong deal.

One notable exception out of Florida are the smaller liveaboards that offer long weekends diving the Dry Tortugas Spree Expeditions M/V Spree SCUBA Diving Dry Tortugas But the deep winter months are not shown on their schedule.

The other liveaboards that depart Florida during that time frame are painted white and might have Mouse Ears splashed on their smokestacks. :D Many cruise ship lines do offer short trips and you can get some diving in at a rapid pace. Guaranteed that they will cater to depth limits and newer divers.

You mention containing expense as a factor. In most every case, it would be cheaper to fly somewhere and dive land based versus any liveaboard. Check out specials to the Bahamas during that time frame.

In the winter months, the Gulf Stream precludes most smaller liveaboards from crossing to the Bahamas, which would be the only area close enough for a small ship and short trip.

Libeaboards in general book Saturday>Saturday, 7 days at sea. In other countries, notably the Maldives, the ships arrange shorter voyages using fast boats as shuttle craft, but in the North American Market, it's a weeklong deal.

One notable exception out of Florida are the smaller liveaboards that offer long weekends diving the Dry Tortugas Spree Expeditions M/V Spree SCUBA Diving Dry Tortugas But the deep winter months are not shown on their schedule.

The other liveaboards that depart Florida during that time frame are painted white and might have Mouse Ears splashed on their smokestacks. :D Many cruise ship lines do offer short trips and you can get some diving in at a rapid pace. Guaranteed that they will cater to depth limits and newer divers.

You mention containing expense as a factor. In most every case, it would be cheaper to fly somewhere and dive land based versus any liveaboard. Check out specials to the Bahamas during that time frame.
Goiung to the keys is another option. Many of the ops down there offer multi dive discounts and some affordable places to stay with stoves and refrigerators.

Thanks Robin -

BTW your gallery on your WS is great.

Thanks for helping me to narrow this all down, first choices Figi, Palau, or Kona.......hmmmmm? :)

Alternate choices the carribean with Aquacat or Nekton.

With your LOB experience if you numbered them 1-5 would you come up with a similiar order of preference based on dive experience and value?

Thanks!

that is a tough one as the diving soooooo different at those places. Prices vary a bit too.
PACIFIC
1. Palau --- some of the best diving you can do anywhere in the world, IMHO. Not a cheap trip but worth every penny! You will see every fish in the Pacific ocean there and every kind of diving - deep, wall, wreck, shark, shallow, cavern, blue hole...:D I wouldn't do this trip if I was a beginner - it is all drift diving, reef hooks, and deep!
2. tie Fiji --- haven't been there but several friends have been and keep telling me it should be our next trip. The liveaboards there are $$$ though. I would expect when we go that we do land-based for that reason.
2. tie Kona --- easy diving and less expensive liveaboards that the other two. Topside there is great and we loved spending a day at Volcano Nat'l Park hiking, so if we ever go back there it will be to do several days topside after the liveaboard.

the only liveaboards we have done in Caribbean have been the Nekton, on Bahamas itineraries Cay Sal and Medio Reef. Loved them both!
Nekton Cay Sal - good variety of diving, deep and shallow, walls and holes, sharks, etc.
Medio Reef - most of the diving is exactly the same as Cay Sal except for 2 days when you do reefs again instead of the deep drift dives. Medio is definitely a trip I recommend for newer divers and photo/video divers.

I don't know anyone who has done Aquacat, just read tons of reviews here on SB and on other boards and never seen a negative one. The videos on YouTube of Aquacat give great info and it looks like a fun trip with good diving. It also looks like the only liveaboard where a non-diver could have just as much fun as a diver.

Blackbeards I know 7-8 people - some loved it and some really hated it. Biggest complaints were the slow tank fills and the shower (fresh water showers limited to something like 60 seconds per day, you have to wash in salt water and only rinse off with fresh!) It is also very close quarters with no privacy and because of that, a few friends said it got kinda smelly by end of week with no real showers. Also, because the boats are small sailboats, some people get seasick. I don't think I would do this trip unless going with a group of my close friends and booking the whole boat. It is a very small boat to get cooped up with someone you don't like!

The Caribbean liveaboards we have not done YET but would really like to do in future:
Belize - diving looks fantastic, then a few days on the mainland touring ruins
Saba - the ExplorerVentures trip looks good and the people I have spoken with who did it said it was very good, only hassle was airfare there and back.
Utila - ditto.

Robin -

Thanks! I wouldn't say we're new but we have never been anywhere that used hooks.......how does the Palau current differ from Cozumel? Is it that much faster? CZM is pretty calm most of the time but we have been on a couple of drifts on the outside wall of Cedar Pass (there were too many divers already on the reef so we went to the outside) and it was pretty zippy.

I'm finishing DM this week (just need to take written test) and my wife is Rescue cert. Would you suggest not using hooks for the first time in Palau?

Thanks for the replies.......they been real helpful!

Robin -

Thanks! I wouldn't say we're new but we have never been anywhere that used hooks.......how does the Palau current differ from Cozumel? Is it that much faster? CZM is pretty calm most of the time but we have been on a couple of drifts on the outside wall of Cedar Pass (there were too many divers already on the reef so we went to the outside) and it was pretty zippy.

I'm finishing DM this week (just need to take written test) and my wife is Rescue cert. Would you suggest not using hooks for the first time in Palau?

Thanks for the replies.......they been real helpful!

Cozumel current is pretty close compared to Palau for the most part. The drifts were such that you couldn't stop for very long to look at anything, a few times we had instruction for the DM to swim hard across a cut in reef as there would be a downdraft or updraft depending on which way the current was blowing, etc. Big thing is that most dives are deep and so getting caught up in current it is important to always watch your depth!

All the dives were treated as drift dives and the dive boat follows the group just like Cozumel though. Big thing is a safety sausage and if you get separated from group, inflate it and stay a surface for the boat to come find you. :wink: Didn't happen to us, but one DM told us about his nightmare in open ocean for over an hour being circled by not so friendly sharks (he was the videographer and went after a shot while others were on safety stop, he got blown way out away from reef...)

The reef hooks (they will loan you one) are used to hook in on many dive sites in order to hang there and watch the show. EVERYONE must use the hook in order to do those dives, otherwise you will get blown past the reef and get picked up by boat. The whole point of dives, like Blue Corner, is to hook in and watch sharks. Watch my video.
[vimeo]3493905[/vimeo]

notice at the points I show the divers, watch the bubbles and you can see the current. One dive the current was so strong I couldn't even operate the camcorder as I couldn't hold it up! Some times the current there is blowing so hard it will rip your mask off, those dives aren't good for sharks either as they leave when it is that bad. On the other hand, if the current is too mild the sharks aren't there either.

As long as you are comfortable with your skills and depth, then it shouldn't be a problem. Be sure to do Nitrox, too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom