Living and diving in three-quarter time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Re-enlistment ceremony SG

This is an image of me re-enlisting one of the Gunners mates.

Re-enlisting is a big deal for sailors and it reaffirms their commitment to the Navy and to their professional development.

Re-enlistment bonuses were common back during the cold war days when we had a CINC who supported the military.

We did this ceremony just aft of the 3" 50 caliber gunmount - on the starboard side aft of the superstructure. That gun mount is still there there except for the barrels.

Spiegel Grove008.jpg

Spiegel Grove - to the screws

Very cool dive today to take a look at the propellers on the Spiegel Grove. Finished up a Tec-Deep instructor training course and a Tec-50 diver course with my friends from Wyoming.

Spiegel-Grove.jpg

Spiegel Grove

Did a 100 minute dive on the Spiegel Grove with the rEvo and a rEvo student yesterday. At least 80 feet of visibility & barely any current. #GoPro

GOPR0192.jpg

October & November in the Keys

Well school is back in session and the crowds have diminished here in the Keys. The roads, hotels and restaurants are not crowded.

For all the years I have lived here I always see September, October and November having fewer divers than in June, July and August. That always befuddled me because the diving is as good if not better in September, October and most of November.

These next few weeks I am looking for a few folks to go out and lets do some 100-120 minute dives on the Spiegel Grove. Ocean Divers big green boat can carry us out probably anytime during the week or weekend. I am looking to survey more of the deep sections of the Spiegel Grove around frame 150. I know this has been done and the deck plans show what should be there....but I wanna go see it....again ... flooded.

Top Dog.jpg

Spiegel Grove-to machinery space #2

Yesterday, Oct 4, 2014 was a good day of diving the Spiegel Grove's #2 machinery space located on deck 4 - frame 140. Max depth 129 feet. I went on Ocean Divers boat "Blue Kai".

This is definitely an advanced wreck dive due to both the depth, the overhead and the accumulation of silt. Bubbles from my open circuit rig caused a good bit of percolation.

When I entered that space I saw a big pipe with the word "VENT" stenciled on it. I immediately remembered that particular spot from time served on her. As I was qualifying as Junior Engineering Officer of the Watch (jeeow) I recall the temperature in that space being 120 degrees at times and the watchstanders while not prowling around looking at gauges & boiler readings would sit under this vent to cool off. We had a maximum stay time in that space where we were required by Navy Regs to leave and go topside for a certain length of time before continuing the watch.

I did not carry a camera with me as I did not want to become distracted -- Today I am planning to go back on my rEvo Closed Circuit Rebreather so as to be able to stay longer and to hopefully avoid as much silting as I had yesterday. I will take some stills and some video...maybe.

Posted below is the download from my Shearwater Petrel from the Oct 4th dive.

Screenshot 2014-10-05 08.39.31.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom