Living and Dying and Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Being one of those that made the statement that if I had to die I'd rather it be doing something that I love. When I wake up in the morning I'm not thinking about 1001 Ways To Die but rather how to enjoy the rest of my life, which may be over in next minute, or the next 50 years! This thread kind of reminds me of a sermon I once heard. (The deacon asked the pastor if today was your last day on earth, what would you do. The pastor described what he would do on that day. The deacon replied "but pastor that's one of your typical days" The pastor replied "that's right because today could be my last day, I don't know that so I'm going to live everyday to enjoy it!") That being said, yes it would be nice to say goodbye to your love ones on your last day, so do it every chance you get because one of those times is going to be the last! When I go diving I have know plans to run out of air, but it happens, I have know plans to get lost in a cave, but it happens, I also could have an aneurysm , a heart attack, (these things do happen to healthy people). Look at all the people that hate their job, but die on the job, or on their way to it. I can't speak for others. but since I'm okay with death, I don't think I would panic if I ran out of air, or got lost in a cave. I would be trying my damnedest to make it to the surface, I wouldn't give up until the last breath, but panicking would not help the situation.

---------- Post added January 26th, 2013 at 09:32 AM ----------

Sorry for your loss, but what was their reasoning behind the blame?

Agree, and your wording is better than mine. I do question though that you say you wouldn't panic because that wouldn't help. I think anyone, regardless of experience will panic at some point if they think there is no way out, and in some situations that would be the case. I could be wrong.

Agree, and your wording is better than mine. I do question though that you say you wouldn't panic because that wouldn't help. I think anyone, regardless of experience will panic at some point if they think there is no way out, and in some situations that would be the case. I could be wrong.

My hopes that I wouldn't panic, because calmer heads always prevail. You start to do irrational things when you panic.

Debbie and I have addressed and resolved this issue by planning our funeral arrangements to include the interment of our ashes in an artificial reef off the coast of Florida.

Dennis could you be more specific about how you made the arrangements? We also have many candles on the birthday cake.

---------- Post added January 26th, 2013 at 09:32 AM ----------

Sorry for your loss, but what was their reasoning behind the blame?
My guess would be simple grief. People in mourning often "need" someone/something to blame. In the case of diving deaths, the scapegoats are everywhere.

My guess would be simple grief. People in mourning often "need" someone/something to blame. In the case of diving deaths, the scapegoats are everywhere.

I and several other close dive freinds simply know it's ignorance talking. Plain and simple.

We both went through tech training togather, we were both independent/solo divers and had dove with him as a primary dive buddy the last 3 yrs. We knew each other and never worried about each other because we drilled and drilled and drilled. He was a solid, experienced, good tech diver who's time was up.

When your buttons pushed, nothing will stop it.

My hopes that I wouldn't panic, because calmer heads always prevail. You start to do irrational things when you panic.

Yeah, agree. Unfortunately, doing testing to see if there are certain people who would panic faced with certain demise and others who could block out panic would involve some inadvisable tests.

Interesting discussion, but IMHO unless you've personally been in a situation where death is the most likely outcome, you can't truly imagine or predict how you would react.

Debbie and I have addressed and resolved this issue by planning our funeral arrangements to include the interment of our ashes in an artificial reef off the coast of Florida. But before that occurs we hope to have many many more years of safe and incident free diving. There is no need to tempt fate through poor planning or macabre thoughts of death. We each know we will rest in the sea we love, in a safe and non-polluting fashion. On the other hand, sometimes the "sirens of the deep" do seem to want me to just descend and never stop.....
DivemasterDennis

I have asked for the same arrangement.

---------- Post added January 26th, 2013 at 10:10 PM ----------

Dennis could you be more specific about how you made the arrangements? We also have many candles on the birthday cake.

I believe there is a company called eternal reefs.

If I was going to commit suicide I would probably do it by diving, partly because I love it and partly because it would look like a convincing accident preventing any fuss over my life insurance policies.

Of course, now it won't look like an accident, even if it really is...

Back
Top Bottom