Living and Dying and Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting discussion, but IMHO unless you've personally been in a situation where death is the most likely outcome, you can't truly imagine or predict how you would react.

Not really true... Their are a group of people that can look death in the face and smile.... They keep working the problem to the very end, Or try to leave a clue to what went wrong and how to learn from it... I think they call it the " Right Stuff ":wink: I did a lot of test jumping of "New and Improved" parachutes and you can think under pressure, Time goes in to slow motion as the brain kicks in to overdrive to handle the data....

Most people freak out and don't even take the time to try and work the problem.... Those are the people that bolt to the surface... Those are the people that ride a nonfunctional parachute into the ground.... Those are the people that lock-up the brakes and crash when all they had to do was turn the wheel and drive....

Jim...

Those are the people that lock-up the brakes and crash when all they had to do was turn the wheel and drive....
I encourage family and friends to generally ride the brakes in emergencies. Today's car have anti-lock brakes, and swerving leads to rolling - while the cars are better built for a softer crash than a fast roll. I've survived both and certainly prefer the crash.

I drive about 100 thousand miles a year in a 18 wheeler in the northeast... Anti-lock brakes fail all the time... Just look at the skid marks on the road.... If they were working you would not be able to do that... You also would not slid on ice if they are working... They may work good in the factory and for sometime in the field but I have not been to impressed with them.... Don't get me wrong.... It's about working the problem and knowing what works and what won't... Their is not one answer that fits all problems... And be very careful about riding the brakes as it causes heat to build very fast and the more heat the less they work....

Jim...

Debbie and I have addressed and resolved this issue by planning our funeral arrangements to include the interment of our ashes in an artificial reef off the coast of Florida.
DivemasterDennis

Believe it or not, your ashes mixed in concrete will actually make the concrete more durable... As you are aware, concrete makes good artificial reefs!

My dad agreed that I could immortalise him that way. He hasn't decided if he wants something simple like a book with his name on it, or a bit more complex like small statue. At first he said he would want it shaped like a mermaid. But I made him realize that I would be turning him into a woman, so he scratched that idea.

If you know what you want your artificial reef to be, let me know and I will make the mold, and even have a mixing ceremony!

So my question to others on SB would be: What would you want your artificial reef to look like, and where would be your final resting place?

Crashes vary a lot. I remember one time catching a loose cow that we'd tracked for 15 miles: our plan was for my pickup to wait in the tall weeds, then cut her into the pen as my brother pushed her - except all I did was spin wheels. I caught traction just as he gave up on me and bolted around her - then couldn't brake on the slippery weeds. I slowed enough to not hurt my brother but felt stupid for not locking 4WD! We did catch the cow tho, and drove both pickups home - but shop time followed.

I remember another where the other car turned left right in front of me. I knew my choices well, considered my possible guilt and would have swerved if I felt this was my fault even tho I knew the ditch was deep - but knowing it was not my fault in an instant, braked hard. Fortunately I slowed enough that no one was hurt, altho both vehicles were ruined.

Another time, on the way to dive training the next morning, a buck deer came out of the dark right in front of me. At 70 mph, I knew better than swerving so I braked and prepared for impact. Missed him! I don't know what he did as my eyes were closed for a second.

Another in a 55 mph zone on the edge of town, this idiot ran a stop sign - then stopped with half of his pickup in my lane, right in front of me! I did have room to brake, then after slowing - veer around him safely. It was his wreck, but I wanted to prevent if I could and managed to do so. He turned the other way, but I resisted the urge to U-turn and chase him down for an ass chewing.

The two times I've rolled vehicles didn't go as well, but each case is different. Usually I can weigh the options in a split second and choose the better one. I'll generally always vote for crashing over rolling.

We have no shortage of idiots who drive too fast on ice. I just hope they pass me safely enough...

Last edited:
I drive about 100 thousand miles a year in a 18 wheeler in the northeast... Anti-lock brakes fail all the time... Just look at the skid marks on the road.... If they were working you would not be able to do that... You also would not slid on ice if they are working... They may work good in the factory and for sometime in the field but I have not been to impressed with them.... Don't get me wrong.... It's about working the problem and knowing what works and what won't... Their is not one answer that fits all problems... And be very careful about riding the brakes as it causes heat to build very fast and the more heat the less they work..

Jim...

Would not slide on ice if they are working? What kind of ice? Not pure sheet ice, I presume?

Not that I'd purposely set out to incur it but I don't think that dying while diving is bad. I have heard that administratively it can be a pain and of course maybe not fun for buddy and crew. And these are important considerations.

But we all have to die. Personally I'd prefer to avoid doing it in a hospital or nursing home.

I've seen a few elderly relatives waiting for their time, frail and lonely. Their loved ones and friends all gone.

Personally I'd like to avoid that.

One of my dad's friends died a few years ago out on the mountain with him. Heart attack. He died doing something he loved. I think we should be a little circumspect before denigrating that.

Just my opinion.

John

Not to get to far in to it... But, The computer uses a magnetic censer at each wheel to give it wheel speed and then uses the electric pulse pump to keep the wheel from locking up.... So in theory it should also work on glare ice in a straight line .... The traction of the tire should be controllable with a ice and snow tire... But theory and the real world are not the same.... They have been trying to make it work on big trucks with not much luck keeping it working....

Now that said, When working Anti-lock brakes are one of the best thing since power steering and vacuum boosted brakes... I would guess they stop 1000's of wreaks a month.... When they work...

Jim...

I think this is one of those things where the sentiment and the realization of it end up being two different things, at least as I see it.

I had written a bunch more but I’ll leave it at that.

Pete

Not really true... Their are a group of people that can look death in the face and smile.... They keep working the problem to the very end, Or try to leave a clue to what went wrong and how to learn from it... I think they call it the " Right Stuff ":wink:

Not at all the same thing. People who routinely push the limits NEVER acknowledge that death is the most likely outcome. They are confident in surviving regardless of the odds.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom